Should I stay away from USB Tuners? (1 Viewer)

ltb76

Portal Member
December 17, 2008
Home Country
Denmark Denmark
Hi,

I’m looking for some DVB-T MPEG4 tuners for my Media Portal (I do not need a CAM).
My TV-Server does not have a lot of expansions slots so I’ve been looking at USB tuners.
I previously had a USB tuner which had a few issues (it was a hybrid tuner though).
Specifically I’m looking at:

Terratec T5, Dual DVB-T
Technotrend MiniUSB Stick
Hauppauge WinTV MiniStick

All should have BDA drivers.

My questions are:

Are USB Tuners in general worse than PCI(e) tuners?

Is it realistic that my TV server (Athlon 64 x2 2,8Ghz, 2GB RAM) can use 4 USB tuners concurrently?

Can someone recommend or recommend against one of the above tuners?

Thank you for any input.

chribe

Portal Member
December 2, 2009
Home Country
Switzerland Switzerland
i use an internal wintv 1300 card and a dazzle pctv usb stick simultaneously on MP1.1 beta and have no problems
both are DVB-T devices. In addition i have two inbuilt Technisat Skystar HD2 DVB-S2 Tuners which are causing more troubles than DVB-T (i think my dish is too small or the lnb not positioned optimal)

Probably USB DVB-S2 (HDTV) might not be ideal? Normal SD video works.

robyf

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 20, 2005
    Bolzano
    Home Country
    Italy Italy
    I have experience with Hauppauge and Terratec H5 DVB-T Sticks.

I will stay away from Hauppauge cause it's very sensible to signal quality. I will recommend the Terratec H5: is very fast in channel change and has no problems with signal quality. Using the latest BDA drivers is immediately recognised by tvserver without problems.

jameson_uk

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 27, 2005
    Birmingham
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Are USB Tuners in general worse than PCI(e) tuners?
    Had a similar dilemma myself as I have been having a couple of issues with my dual DVB-T / dual DVB-S Pinnacle 7010ix PCI-express card.

Bought a Hauppauge Nova-T stick for £30 as figured that if it was rubbish £30 was not too much money wasted. After I got it installed yesterday channel changing is now much much quicker (two seconds when was eight). I think picture quality is still the same.

One thing to note is that some internal tuners are actually USB tuners with a PCI=>USB adaptor on the card.

The issues I see with USB are that they can take a while to be recognised (there is a delay setting in TV Server which might be advisable) but they also have the benefit that a reset can be done a lot easier without a reboot (Once every so often my PCI-e card is not recognised on resume or boot so only way to get it recognised is to reboot)

jameson_uk

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 27, 2005
    Birmingham
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom

altytesty

Portal Pro
    December 19, 2009
    No you should not stay away. Please purchase and feel and understand the pain of a USB tuner, then leave a detailed review every place you go on the poor quality of whatever
    usb tuner you purchase.

I've tried MULTIPLE usb tuners, NONE of them get all of the OTA ATSC channels, period. Pop in a hauppauge pci or pci-e card, and all channels come in immediately.

How to test this?
    Simple, use a splitter from your antenna, send one cable to your HDTV's built in tuner and one to the usb tuner.
    Tune channels on your HDTV, and notice how many you have.
    Tune on USB in any software you want, and you will NOT get all channels. If you do, then youre in an area with limited channels, not over 60 like me.

Every single PCI or PCI-e card I've ever tried has worked at getting all channels.

Also, first time I tried MP i went crazy because it wasn't working, took out usb, popped in pci, and all was well.

I picked up some diamond/ati usb tuners, and the drivers don't even update. #2, they do NOT reply to any questions regarding reception #3 they try and blame reception on antennas in their FAQs....but as a simple test as described will show, it is the unit, not the antenna

I've tried 5 different brands of usb tuners, the current one I'm using doesn't get all channels, but it gets enough for me to see if MP can run stable...and wait for a better price on a 2250 or equivalent.

ltb76

Portal Member
    December 17, 2008
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    Thanks for all the replys.

I ordered 1 Hauppauge WinTV Ministick HD. For test purposes. And it works like a charm.
    Watching HD TV takes 80% CPU load, but recording only pulls 15%.

:D

Gixxer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 18, 2007
    Spain
    Home Country
    Spain Spain

PD does it work with HD channels???

the stick looks very promising, specially the fact that is DUAL tuner.

and if you recommend it i can take the chances of buying it online.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom