Should I stick with my laptop htpc or upgrade? (1 Viewer)

nhoffman82

Portal Member
January 29, 2008
Hello, I would greatly appreciate some advice. A year ago I purchased a 2.8 ghz laptop, intending to use it as an htpc computer. It connects through a wireless connection (wireless g) to my main computer with a 4 bay hard drive tower to play music and movies. However, often the movies will stutter and mediaportal acts very sluggish. I figure the low ram (512 mb) might have something to do with it, but I've been considering just upgrading with a silverstone htpc, new motherboard, video card, etc. I'm wondering though, would it be worth it to upgrade, will I see much of a significant improvement. Also, will my laptop be able to handle all of the usb components I plan on adding (tv card, remote sensor, direct connection to hard drive tower, etc). I do not have tons of money to spend, but I do want my system to function better without all of the lagging. Thanks...

Tullux

Portal Member
July 31, 2008
Home Country
Germany Germany
I was really surprised what kind of performance you can get with the new ATI/NVidia chipsets and a rather unexpensive System (you can check my system or my thread for more info) with multimedia applications (including but not limited to HD content).

If you don't need mobility, I'd sell the laptop as long as it still has a decent value and go for a HTPC.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom