Should Someone be Selling Media Portal???

Discussion in 'MediaPortal 1 Talk' started by HammerFeet, October 19, 2005.

1. HammerFeet

HammerFeet Portal Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
  2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Callifo
    • Premium Supporter

Callifo Retired Team Member

Student
    Ratings:
    +20 / 0
    Home Country:
    It does state in the lower part of the page that it is MediaPortal and not MCE. It however does not state the software is free and where to get it. The GPL does allow people to sell it but only for a reasonable price which includes the cost of the media its sold on. However US$20 is very steep for what would be cheap cds ($0.20 or $0.30 each).

4. Dordo

Dordo Portal Pro

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I left him a message saying

"You do realise that you are selling open source software which is not only illegal but immoral. You have quite a well established account it would be a shame to see its reputation damaged for something as silly as this. Please remove this or I will be asking Ebay themselves to do it for you."

I would encourage you all to do something similar.

5. Boilermaker
    • Premium Supporter

Boilermaker Retired Team Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0
  6. Khris

Khris Portal Pro

IT Geek
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Home Country:
    Canada Canada
    Yeah, this guy is a shmuck....plain and simple. He doesn't care that he's the lowest of the low.

7. civikdude

civikdude Portal Pro

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Well, this is sickening. Did you happen to notice the number of sales he made on just that one auction? US $120 and counting...

Dordo - well phrased:

8. Boilermaker
    • Premium Supporter

Boilermaker Retired Team Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    Look at the other stuff he is selling...his "well established" account is built on similar auctions. He takes free software, compliles them on cd's and uses shady descriptions to sell them. And buried in a long description they put a tiny note in there that you aren't getting windows mce. This just proves the old saying about a sucker born every day. Look at their feedback, it looks like there is only one person that's called them on reselling freeware.

btw, here is my favorite cyonics auction:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=102534&item=5590375001

9. scoop
    • Premium Supporter

scoop Retired Team Member

Ratings:
    +7 / 0
    Hi,
    IMHO it's clear (by looking at all the other products he sells) he's making a living out of selling free software. His "well established" account can IMHO only mean that

a) there are plenty of other morons who buy his stuff without even looking into what software they are actually buying.

b) the feedback is fake.

I'd vote for "b", judging by the amount of ebay fishing mails I've seen lately. IMHO it's a waste of time sending the seller e-mail. I think it's better to contact e-bay and/or microsoft directly. But I doubt they do anything about it (see Boilermaker's comment)...

Kind regards,
    Michel

10. HammerFeet

HammerFeet Portal Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice
  • About The Project

The vision of the MediaPortal project is to create a free open source media centre application, which supports all advanced media centre functions, and is accessible to all Windows users.

In reaching this goal we are working every day to make sure our software is one of the best.

• Support MediaPortal!

The team works very hard to make sure the community is running the best HTPC-software. We give away MediaPortal for free but hosting and software is not for us.

Care to support our work with a few bucks? We'd really appreciate it!