Side by side configuration is incorrect - Can´t start MediaPortal! (1 Viewer)

MrOrsh

Portal Member
November 3, 2008
Today when I tried to start MediaPortal I got the error message that the "...Side by side configuration is incorrect..." and some other text (only have it in Swedish, so not sure how to translate it correclty). Here is a rough translation of the full error-message:

C:/........MediaPortal.exe

The program won´t start because it´s side by side configuration is incorrect. Please check the eventlogg or use the cmd-tool sxstrace.exe to gain more information.

I have no idea what this could be. Except that it perhaps have something to do with microsoft visual c++ runtime library. I´ve installed vc++ and reinstalled it, but the error keeps poping up when I try to start MediaPortal.

Everything worked just fine yesterday and I haven´t made any changes on the computer at all since the last working configuration.

te3hpurp

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 23, 2008
    Rovaniemi
    Home Country
    Finland Finland
    I think it's because your mediaportal.exe.config file is corrupt. Copy it to safe place and delete it from mp folder. New will be generated when you start mp next time. If it wont help you can copy file back and we need to think something else.
    Br,

MrOrsh

Portal Member
    November 3, 2008
    Thanks for the fast reply.

Something sure happend, now mediaportal starts up (without the usual "loading plugins etc." texts) and then this error message is shown: http://i47.tinypic.com/y3k2.jpg

The only thing I can do is to press OK and MediaPortal shuts down.
    This sure is weird :p

te3hpurp

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 23, 2008
    Rovaniemi
    Home Country
    Finland Finland
    Okay.

You can try copy dialogs.dll to Mp root folder. Try to find it from plugin folder or one of its subfolders like window plugins. That dll is missing from Mp root folder. Other option is to reinstall.

Br,

MrOrsh

Portal Member
    November 3, 2008
    Found the dll and copied it to the MP root. And the program now starts up (however still without the usual "loading plugins etc." texts).

And no movies works either. Althou the codes and everything is as it should be.

I´m guessing I have to reinstall MP, and maybe Windows 7 to. Since the computer stop during boot just now, and had to be restarted a few times (and get bios deafult-reset) before it would boot correctly.

Weird.. never exerpinced this problem before.

te3hpurp

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 23, 2008
    Rovaniemi
    Home Country
    Finland Finland
    I think reinstall is good thing as hunting down everything that has corrupted might take a while :)
    Usually corruption happens when Windows is shut dowd crasefully, or doing hard reset with reset button.

Windows 7 is good option. For me ir runs very good.

Br,

MrOrsh

Portal Member
    November 3, 2008
    I´ve heard so many times that a hard reset could ruin things.. Never really belived it thou :p
    But I think I actually did one yesterday, and perhaps that is what caused this "weirdness".

I´ll guess it´s back to the start again then. Reinstalling here I come... issh :/

Thx for the help te3hprup!

copper

Portal Member
    August 11, 2009
    I copied Mediaportal.exe.config from another installation (with the same version) and now it works OK without reinstall.

cheezey

Community Plugin Dev
    August 26, 2004
    West Yorks, UK
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    I get this issue quite frequently. If I close MP when I restart it there's a 30% chance of the whole PC crashing, not blue screening or anything like that, it just completely dies instantly, this happens when loading windows plugins. I get the side by side error when the PC is restarted and I just copy over a mediaportal.exe.config from another client. Even then the whole thing could just catastrophically crash again when restarting mediaportal, again when loading windows plugins. So far I've narrowed it down to MovingPictures or TVSeries, if I delete those databases MP will start OK. I then have to rebuild those DBs. This has happened again tonight and I should have some logs, hopefully that will show which plugin was loading at the time. I'm running Win7 x64.

thargs

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 26, 2007
    Home Country
    This happened to me quite a few times with Win7 64 bit. It was enough to turn me away from Mediaportal until its sorted out. It would happen almost 100% if the system didnt close cleanly when MP hung (and that occurred when trying to start a .avi while LiveTV was still running. Since then I have been running evil MCE and no corrupts and no hangs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom