Silent GFX card help (1 Viewer)

littlematt

Portal Pro
October 1, 2006
Home Country
New Zealand New Zealand
Hi guys I have an antec nsk2400 case, using the onboard graphics chip at the moment but I have a spare PCIex16 slot. Am wanting to upgrade to a 1080p LCD sometime soon (from a philips 29in CRT). I want to know your recommendations for a fanless graphics card that will play 1080p content and upscale (maybe the TV will do this too?). I also want to play PC games from my couch, specifically world of warcraft which has been out for a while so wont need the latest bad ass card to play well. So am interested in your recommendations for a PCIe gfx card for gaming, that is silent, and will fit in my case if any of you out there have done this? MY MB is a DFI infinity RS482.

Cheers,
Matt

gmeleski

Portal Member
December 16, 2007
Silent Video Card

Hi,

I'm using a MSI NX8500GT-MTD256EH GeForce 8500GT 256MB 128-bit GDDR2 PCI Express x16 HDCP card in my system and it works 100% for everything. It has a heatsink and no fan. Gets a bit warm but not dangerously so.

Also has (1) dvi and (1) hdmi port.

The downside may be that it will take up (2) spaces because of the large heatsink.

Not a problem for me though.

Bought from Newegg for $69.95.

Gary

Shazell

Portal Member
June 5, 2007
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Well for a purely video point of view I would go for the ATI 3450 that is very cheap and can handle all the video you could want.

Newegg.com - SAPPHIRE 100233L Radeon HD 3450 256MB 64-bit GDDR2 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card - Desktop Graphics

But if you are looking for gaming as well as you say then that may not be the best choice. for gaming I would go for the new GeForce 9600

Newegg.com - ECS N9600GT-512MX-P GeForce 9600GT 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Desktop Graphics

Both of those are passively cooled so very silent :D

Of course you can slap one of these onto most modern cards to get passive cooling, but means some manual work

Newegg.com - ARCTIC COOLING ACCELS1 Rev 2 VGA Cooler - VGA Cooling

littlematt

Portal Pro
October 1, 2006
Home Country
New Zealand New Zealand
Hi guys thanks I will try those cards but the good 3d ones you recommend both look kinda big. I guess this will always be an issue with passive cooling. I suppose the thing to do is to take my case into the shop to see if it will fit before parting with the bucks unless any of you have managed to fit one of these into an nsk2400/fusion case in the DFI mb I got quite a big CPU cooler too so will have to check it out first. Thx for your advice!!

gmeleski

Portal Member
December 16, 2007
The MSI card I have listed above is a "Low Profile" card. It fits in most media cases. In fact I have mine in a "Slim" case with a micro ATX MB and there is still plenty of room. I have experienced no heating issues even after long continuous useage.

Gary

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom