Completed Silverstone LC-11MS based low power HTPC (1 Viewer)

MadMagpie

Portal Pro
April 17, 2007
Home Country
Very nice setup, thanks for sharing.
I built my htpc on a tight budget, I would have loved to go the more silent route, whilst mine isn't "too" noisy you can certainly hear it when the tv is muted.

ThaClown

Moderator - Dutch Forums
May 28, 2006
Den Bosch
Home Country
Netherlands Netherlands
Great build
the mCubed EF16 160W external passive cooled is probably not an option for me since I watch FullHD and have a HD2400...
My PSU (the standard TFX 300W PFC that comes with the LC11) is still loud! you got any good tips on what I could use in my LC11? (need about 370W on the peaks I think)

level20peon

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 4, 2007
    Aachen
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    You could provide some pics of your setup so I can see what we are talking about.

-level20peon

ThaClown

Moderator - Dutch Forums
    May 28, 2006
    Den Bosch
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    I can but will take some time, I'm not at home now.
    Will put some pics online soon.

I have some space, only have a low profile HD2400, 2HDD and 5.1 audiocard in the PC.
    So I do have some space around the PSU area, but a normal size PSU will not fit....

Thx for the help.

EDIT: found a very similar build (I have about the same space left)

Attachments

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      34.7 KB

level20peon

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 4, 2007
    Aachen
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    There also is a passively cooled PSU from mCubed with more power (280 Watt). I am sure mCubed is not the only manufacturer of such PSU's though, but they are not cheap anyways. If you want to keep the LC11M standard PSU you either have to live with the crappy little cooler (VERY annoying sound in my opinion) or replace it with a larger one (warranty will be void then).

Two things you can do for little money:
    1. Replace the case-fans with Sharkoon silent eagle fans for example (the stock fans were a joke concerning their sound).
    2. Replace the CPU cooler with a larger one, see my description in the first post for details on this (I have a 120mm fan mounted there :))

I also recommend not to use flat but round cables for your drives. This will optimize airflow.

-level20peon

ThaClown

Moderator - Dutch Forums
    May 28, 2006
    Den Bosch
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Thanks for the tips.
    I already have a silent casefan (CoolerMaster) and a Low Profile CPU cooler (ArcticCooling).
    So they are not noisy....

I think i might try to mod the PSU myself (the sound is really annoying indeed, not loud but just very specific) ...
    thanks for the tips!

This looks to be an alternative too.....
    http://eu.shuttle.com/en/DesktopDef...ry-254/noblendout-1/tabid-123/241_read-11352/

Test here, I might got for this one....
    http://www.sfftech.com/index.php?/articles/show/Shuttle_PC50_Review_-_Silent_X_300w_PSU/results

Schrodr84

December 21, 2007
    Wilmington, NC
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    Did you decide to not use the PCI connectors with your machine? I have the same case (black version) and ran into difficulty getting a motherboard for it because I wanted to use all the PCI expansion slots and the raiser card that comes with the machine requires a specific layout. I too wanted to run with a mobile processor, so I settled on the MSI 945GT speedster as it has a PCI slot next to the video slot.

level20peon

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 4, 2007
    Aachen
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hello Schrodr84,

the Mainboard I dediced to buy does not have the layout required for the standard riser card to work. So I bought a flexible riser card for my PCI-E video adapter. This is the only expansion card I need to utilize by PCI/-E since my TV-Card uses FireWire. There are also flexible riser cards for normal PCI slots in case you should need one.

-level20peon

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom