Silverstone LC11M + Asus A8N-VM CSM - wich CPU cooler? (1 Viewer)

slyhne

Portal Member
November 15, 2005
Copenhagen
Home Country
Denmark Denmark
Hi

After looking for a new CPU cooler (currently using the AMD cooler that came with the CPU), I now turn to this forum.

Does anybody here have any experiences with silent CPU coolers for use in the Silverstone LC11 case? The stock cooler from AMD makes to much noise!

Can anybody recommend a good, silent cooler that fits in the LC11 case?

Best regards

Søren

ziphnor

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 4, 2005
    Copenhagen
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    Have you tried enabling Q-Fan in the bios? It helps alot. My parents the Asus M2NPV-VM motherboard with the stock cooler, and its quite tolerable with Q-Fan enabled.

How much space is there in the LC11? In my own HTPC i use a SilentTower, which is VERY tall, but it can cool my A64 3000+ passively(actually i do have a 92mm SilenX fan running at low speed, but its not necessary, it just keeps the temp VERY low). But then again i did undervolt the CPU to 1.8Ghz@1.1V :)

slyhne

Portal Member
    November 15, 2005
    Copenhagen
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    Cool 'n' Quiet!

Hi ziphnor

Cool 'n' Quiet is enabled in the BIOS.

I have read somewhere that the maximum height of the cooler can be 75mm, but I wouldn't go over 70mm. The diameter could also be an issue, there is not room for anything wider than the stock cooler unless I sacrifice the side-ventilator.

Søren

rockmeisster

Portal Member
    August 11, 2006
    Aalborg
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    Hi Slyhne
    Get yourself a Zahlmann Cu7000 cooler. Its effective and most of all quiet due to the included fanmate that enables you to spin down the cooler. I have it installed in my lc11m. Another advise to quiet down your htpc down is to get a passive external psu. IMHO i think that the stock PSU is rather noisy. check out the EF16 and EF28 psu's here http://www.mcubed-store.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=3
    A cheaper solution is to modify the stock psu, but because it generates alot of heat its easier to move out of the case. This way you also minimize the requirement for airflow in the case.

slyhne

Portal Member
    November 15, 2005
    Copenhagen
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    Zalman cooler

Hi rockmeisster

Nice to know there is room for the Zalman 7000.

I have looked at the Zalman 7000B-CU cooler, just a little concerned about the weight and the fact that it's going to be mounted upside down - so there will be 0,755 kg hanging in the motherboard. I think I will go for the Zalman 7000B-ALCU which only weighs about 0,44 kg.

Thanks for the input..

Søren

ziphnor

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 4, 2005
    Copenhagen
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    Cool 'n' Quiet is enabled in the BIOS.

CnQ is not the same as Q-Fan. Q-Fan is the Quiet fan controller on Asus motherboards. It will lower the fan speed according to the temperature. The difference it makes enabling it is quite impressive.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom