Silverstone LC16MR & Sapphire Hd5550 (1 Viewer)

ejtje

Portal Pro
November 29, 2009
Home Country
Netherlands Netherlands
Hello all,

I finally have some money to buy a HTPC case + videocard and some Harddisks. I have some questions about the system I will order.

- Does someone have a LC16MR case? And do the like the case?
- Does someone now if the sapphire HD5550 Ultimate will fit in the LC16MR case? (I will install a bluray player later)
- Does the VRF display and the remote work with the mediaportal software? (also with the up coming releases from MP?)

I have someone can help me with this question. Feel free to ask for more information.

Greetings E

Langi

Portal Member
October 5, 2009
Home Country
Austria Austria
Hello!

I've bought the LC16-Case about a year ago. I'm happy with it - it look's very precious and there are no connector's visible at the front.

Remote and VFR are working well in conjunction with Mediaportal. However, I couldn't use the newer versions of iMON software because MiniDisplay-Plugin didn't work with them. At the moment I use V7.77.1022 and everything is working fine.

Take a look at this thread (done by kiwijunglist):

https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/...-vfd-imon-ipad-imon-front-buttons-hack-45232/

Regards,
Andreas

ejtje

Portal Pro
November 29, 2009
Home Country
Netherlands Netherlands
Tnx for your post,

I agree, it realy looks nice :D. That's the reason i want it.

Could you measure soming for me? I need to now the distance between de installed CD/DVD/Blueray player and the (internal)back of the case. Because the video card that i want to install is 20cm (7,9inch) long. Here the link for the card: SAPPHIRE- HOME

Greetings E

Langi

Portal Member
October 5, 2009
Home Country
Austria Austria
Hello!

Maximum length for videocards to fit in the case is 18cm (when you want to use a optical drive, too).

Regards,
Andreas

ejtje

Portal Pro
November 29, 2009
Home Country
Netherlands Netherlands
Tnx for your reply

So this card will not fit...

Does someone have a other option? I what to use a passive videocard that must support the CPU. Because a what to play 1080P .mkv files with this videocard and a AMD 64 3500+ CPU

Greeting E

ejtje

Portal Pro
November 29, 2009
Home Country
Netherlands Netherlands
Mmm,

This is what I have found @ the silverstone web site: SilverStone Technology Co., Ltd - Designing Inspiration

Why can't I use some of the higher-end cards in the LC16M?
Due to the center-mounting optical drive design, the space for longer graphics cards are limited to approximately 225mm assuming the optical drive used is 160mm long. The following are the length of the various cards for reference:

AMD Radeon HD 4870/4850 = 235mm
NVIDIA GeForce 9800GT/9600GT/GTO = 230mm
NVIDIA GeForce 9500GT = 175mm
AMD Radeon HD 4670/4650 = 170mm

The Sapphire Ultimate HD 5550 that I want to instal = 200mm. So I need a blueray player that's max 175? (10mm for the cables)

Does someone have a idea of a blueray player with a depth of max 175mm?

Greetings E

kiwijunglist

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2008
    New Zealand
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hey I wrote the silverstone LC16MR guide above

I really don't recommend you buy a case with imon/soundgraph inside, i think this case is actually over priced too.

The reason(s) I don't recommend this case.

1. The VFD is too small to see from more than 2m away, therefore it is just a gimic.
    2. If you want a display you need to get a case with a very large LCD touch screen display.
    3. Soundgraph/imon remote control and VFD software and hardware are very buggy, I actually threw out my imon remote and bought an MCE compatible remote instead.
    4. I recommend you buy a case that can take large fans. This case only takes 92mm/80mm fans at the front and 80mm fans at the rear. Large fans are a lot quiter, therefore this case can potentially be quite noisey. Get a case that takes 120mm fans. For the size of this case (very large) it should definitely support larger fans.
    5. If you consider the above points then this case is over priced.

Also: Soundgraph have terrible support for older products, and this case is quite old now. The previous posts about soundgraph co-operating with mediaportal developers to imrpove compatibility was all hot air, as the soundgraph team postponed this every 2 months for over a year.

I think you should consider the following

1. Consider not geting any display, or if you do get a large display, and bear in mind that it may be tricky to get the display to work if you don't use the manufacturer's software.
    2. Get a case that has large fans so it's very quiet.
    3. If there are front buttons on the case, try and get one where the buttons function as MCE extended keys, so you don't need to run custom software, I was able to hack the silverstone front case buttons, but some buttons on some cases may not work without using their custom media centre software.
    4. If there is a volume button on the front of the case, it will not work if you use SPDIF passthrough audio or HDMI pass through audio.

ejtje

Portal Pro
    November 29, 2009
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Oke, thanks.

Maybe someone can and will help me find my idea HTPC case then?

I need a HTPC case with the following spec:
    - Must support a ATX motherboard
    - Must house 4-6 HDD
    - Must be able to place a passive cooled GPU like the Sappphire HD 5550
    - Must be a black case
    - Max dimentions: H170, D450, W 450

What I don't need:
    - Front buttons
    - Display
    - A buggy remote ;-)

I like the Silverstone cases zo maybe the LC20 without the buggy remote is a option?

Thanks for your help!

kiwijunglist

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2008
    New Zealand
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    u can still get silverstone just know that vfds are worthless, lcds can have driver issues and are also not that useful, and the imon remote is very buggy. check out the silverstone and antec websites. Also consider the antec P180/181/182/183 or Mini-P180 on it's side. The newer imon receivers are mce compatible so not sure if that solves a lot of their problems or not.

PS. the LC20 gets a lot of bad reviews, it don't think it includes any fans or psu either.
    The antek NSK2400/2480 can take 4 HDD if you don't use an optical drive, or can take 5 HDD if you use a 2 x 5.25 -> 3 x 3.5 adapter. dunno if it will fit that card or not.

ejtje

Portal Pro
    November 29, 2009
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Mmm ok,
    So it will be hard for me to make a decision...

Thanks for the antec P-options but sadly the are to big for the tv-cabinet. (max 17cm high), The NSK can't house a full ATX motherboard. If I will go to Micro-atx then I will buy the GD05 from Silverstone. But that doesn't support ATX motherbord. So this is also no option.

I'm going to make a net tread where i can place more info on my HTPC plan.

Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom