Simultaneous recordings (maybe) leading to duplicate cards (1 Viewer)

Iceberg

July 15, 2007
Home Country
TV-Server Version: 1.0
MediaPortal Version: 1.0
MediaPortal Skin: Blue Three Wide
Windows Version: Windows XP SP3
CPU Type: AMD Athlon X2 64 4200+
HDD: Samsung 500GB
Memory: 2GB
Motherboard: ABit KN8 Ultra
Video Card: Gigabyte nVidia 8500
Video Card Driver: 178.24
Sound Card: Onboard
Sound Card AC3:
Sound Card Driver:
1. TV Card: DVico Dual Digital Express
1. TV Card Type: DVB-T
1. TV Card Driver: 3.68
2. TV Card:
2. TV Card Type:
2. TV Card Driver:
3. TV Card:
3. TV Card Type:
3. TV Card Driver:
4. TV Card:
4. TV Card Type:
4. TV Card Driver:
MPEG2 Video Codec: MPV Decoder Filter
MPEG2 Audio Codec: MPA Decoder Filter
h.264 Video Codec:
Satelite/CableTV Provider:
HTPC Case: Silverstone GD01 MX
Cooling:
Power Supply: Antec Neo
Remote: iMon
TV: LG 26inch LCD
TV - HTPC Connection: DVI-HDMI

I've regularly had the problem where a recording has only worked for a few minutes.

Because I tend to watch recordings quite some time after having recorded them, I usually don't remember circumstances of the recording and no longer have logs for it. But I've been trying to keep scanning the logs regularly lately and I think I've found something suspicious.

Log tvserver_tv.log looks quite normal for the first recording, it shows that the two DVB-T cards are idle and it chooses the first (~ line 307). When the time comes for the second recording (~ line 387), you can see in the list of cards that card:1 is listed twice, first one in use, second one available. It chooses card:1 (again), which presumably ruins the first recording. Strange, no?

Having seen this in the log, I recalled that I've seen card1 listed twice in TV-Server Configuration's Manual control but at the time had just thought it was an error in the gui populating the list control.

In other logs, I've seen it that card:2 was the card repeated and even both card:1 and card:2 at once.

Is it a problem? Any suggestions?
Thanks heaps,
Iceberg.

Iceberg

July 15, 2007
Home Country
I found some time and started looking at the code here.

It turns out that the repeated mention of the cards isn't so suspicious after all, it's just a little extra logging to the effect that the card is still available because it's on the same transponder. Sorry 'bout the red herring.

But I still suspect there's a problem here, as this seems to happen for all simultaneous recordings, regardless of the channels' frequencies (which I presume and which the code suggests to me is what the term "transponder" refers to). In the provided logs, the frequencies of the channels are different.

So I'm starting to poke around looking in the implementation and vicinity of CardTuner::IsTunedToTransponder().

I note that Gibman had been tinkering in this area recently working on the mantis bug concerned with the cleaning up of handling of subchannels, although that was implemented for 1.0 final. gibman, could this be a symptom of or related to the problem you'd been fixing?

On the other hand, I don't even know if my card can do two subchannels at a time (as a matter of fact, I don't know much about subchannels and tuning et al at all), so if there was a way of me to change the configuration to disable the use of subchannels, that would also solve my problem.

markius

Portal Pro
December 26, 2006
Maidstone, UK
Home Country
England England
I'm also seeing some odd behavior with subchannels but it's related to overlapping recordings on the same channel. I'll use a different thread.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom