skip buffering (1 Viewer)

mbuzina

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 11, 2005
    Germany
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi. Great idea to add this feature. May I suggest another optimization for the Online Vids plugin? For me case is as follows:
    Videos are buffered to compensate for NW issues to guarantee smooth playback. Thats why we buffer a part of the stream before we start playing, right?

So maybe we can make this calculation a little smarter. Can you read out the MB/sec that a stream has (on VBR use an average value)? If so we sould say buffer the minimum of 2% or x seconds of video (x can be configured, should default to something like 2-3 seconds).

Or even better, add another option for maximum bandwith, resulting in the following calculation:

br = Bitrate of the video
    size = total size of video
    size/br = duration of video
    x = config option, how many seconds of video should be buffered
    y = config option, what is the download speed of your internet connection

if br>y then
    buffer = size - ((size/br + x)*y); // We need to download most of the video because bit rate is higher than our download speed.
    // Assume that we can start playing as soon as the leftover time is enough to download the rest and add the buffer seconds to that
    else
    buffer = min(size/50,br*x); // Buffer 2% or configured number of seconds, whichever is the lowest

offbyone

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • April 26, 2008
    Stuttgart
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    AW: skip buffering

Sry to tell you, but the bitrate (and all other details about the video) is only known to the filter playing the video. Onlinevideos does have no knowledge of that (all we have is an url) , so I can't do your magic calculation ;)

offbyone

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • April 26, 2008
    Stuttgart
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    AW: Re: skip buffering

I don't know any standarized interface for that (don't think there is one).
    No way to query the filters about that? Pity.

PLAY button on MCE:
    I just found the action needed to get the PLAY button on remotes working as well. So with next version (0.29) this will be fixed.

Freezing MP:
    Another thing I noticed: The freezing of MediaPortal on videos from cinemassacre (or screwattack) is coming from the PowerDVD10 FLV Splitter. If I use the FLVSpltter I attached in another post of this forum - it will at least play the video (working with skipping of buffering) and if you press stop before it actually ends, it won't freeze. It will freeze if you let it play out, but that is due to the 2 GB setting from their servers.

offbyone

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • April 26, 2008
    Stuttgart
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    AW: skip buffering

The splitter you are using is pretty old. You can replace it with the one I posted in the thread you mentioned, it is based on the same source with a few enhancements.

Users who are viewing this thread