skip steps and FF/RW explained? not a noob question (1 Viewer)

gommer

Portal Member
October 7, 2006
Belgium
Home Country
Belgium Belgium
Hello All,

I'm pretty far with setting up my MP HTPC and i'm finetuning things.
One thing that keeps me puzzled is the use of the skip steps and FF/RW with music, DVD and video. I've looked in the FAQ, manual (wiki) and this forum but i cannot find a clear answer to the following questions:

* In setup, i can define which skip steps are enabled, but how are they used. For example, if i enable 5sec, 15sec, 60 sec and 1 hour, when is which skip step used?
* What are the actions required to use skip steps as opposed to FF/RW
* Can the FF/RW speed steps be configured? If so, how?
* Are the skip steps and FF/RW actions used differently in video, DVD and music?

I know it's a lot of questions and probably a long post to explain all, but who can get me started, please? IMHO it would be good if this particular set of infrormation would be clearly explained in a single place (as in: here :D )

Thanks in advance to anyone who can shed some light on this subject. If any of my questions are too vague or not clear, please tell me so and i'll elaborate.

Cheers,
Marc

Taipan

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 23, 2005
    Melbourne
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    If you are using an MCE remote (and this probably applies to other remotes as well), the skip steps occur when you press the left or right arrow keys - and each subsequent quick key press increases the skip amount (from 5 sec, to 15 sec, to 30 sec, etc....).

The FF and RW amounts occur when you press the FF and RW buttons, in this case subsequent quick presses of the button advance the speed factor (from 2x to 4x, to 8x, to 16x, etc....).

HTH .... :)

mbuzina

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 11, 2005
    Germany
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    * In setup, i can define which skip steps are enabled, but how are they used. For example, if i enable 5sec, 15sec, 60 sec and 1 hour, when is which skip step used?
    Press Left / Right buttons on Fullscreen Playback (Remote or Keyboard) and you will skip the lowest step (Back / Forward). Press the buttons twice (within a short timeframe) for the next step. This way you can easily jump around the video material.
    * What are the actions required to use skip steps as opposed to FF/RW
    Left or Right arrow buttons instead of FW / RW

* Can the FF/RW speed steps be configured? If so, how?
    No, they are fixed speeds.

* Are the skip steps and FF/RW actions used differently in video, DVD and music?
    No, except I am not sure about the Music (they might not be used at all).

Not to difficult to explain the difference. FW / RW is changing direction and playback speed. Skip FW / BW is "jumping" forward / backward in time. The first is FW / RW buttons, the second is Left / Right Arrows.

gommer

Portal Member
    October 7, 2006
    Belgium
    Home Country
    Belgium Belgium
    Thanks guys, your answers open up a world of new exploring to me.
    All of a sudden it all seems so obvious, but not untill you know the essential details. I'll find out how everything works in detail and update my start post, this might be a good giude for some.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom