Skips or stutter in recorded TV, slow SATA transfer rate (1 Viewer)

winterescape

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 5, 2009
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    Skips or stutter in recorded TV, slow SATA transfer rate

This post is a solution to a difficult to find (for me) issue I had, hopefully someone else with the same problem will stumble on this post.

The symptom:
    Recorded TV shows, US over the air ATSC HDTV, would occasionally skip or stutter.

I recently upgraded my HDD to a WD Black 750GB. My OS is Win XP SP3

I was doing some drive testing and ran HDtune (free version, not pro HD Tune website ) to look at transfer rate. I discovered that my max and average disk transfer rate was 7.8 MB/sec and the CPU load was 48%! Something is defiantly wrong. A little searching and I found this:

Very slow SATA connection

Link to MS KB answer

IDE ATA and ATAPI disks use PIO mode after multiple time-out or CRC errors occur

Sure enough the “active” transfer mode was PIO, easy fix. Honestly not sure when this happened, or how it happened. I had used Hdtune to do some disk benchmarking just after the new drive install and I know the x-fer rate was great then. I have imaged the drive and restored it since, so who knows.

I am amazed the system worked at all at that rate and will watch for any degradation in performance and keep an eye on the transfer mode.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom