Sky Digital TV in New Zealand - controlling the set top box? (1 Viewer)

snarlyboy

Portal Member
July 14, 2006
hey all you NZers!

I figured I would start a new NZ thread as the last one is a bajillion pages long and not really applicable to my query.

Anyway, I finally got xmltvnz working to download the Sky Digital TV EPG guide into MP (though I keep forgetting the freaking hours offset everytime I update MP and have to re-configure it grr >:/ )...

And I have sort of got My Blaster working to kind of control the set top box, but it doesn't work completely. For example if I try to use MP to switch to Sky Movies channel 22 or 23 it will often switch to channel 2 or channel 3, or if I try to go to CNN on channel 56 it will often either miss the 5 or the 6 and go to either channel 5 or channel 6.

Yes I think my IR blaster eye thingy is in the right place (I've spent hours with one hand on it trying to move it around to see if that makes a difference and I can't get a better spot than where it is). But sometimes for some dual numbered channels it does work and will turn to the correct channel.

I've got the PACE 620 set top box from Sky. As if Sky's crappy ass box wasn't slow enough changing channels, with this IR thing not being reliable to change channels and adding an extra couple of seconds I really feel like hanging myself while channel surfing sometimes ;-)

Does anyone in NZ actually have this working properly and smoothly? If so, HOW??? I am so fed up with Sky and the crap choices on there, (and there is NO WAY I am paying them for their crap tivo MySky rip off) that I am probably going to buy a slingbox and have my sister in the US stream 500 channels to me through it - has anyone tried that through their broadband here in NZ?? And if so, is there a slingbox plugin to Media Portal?? that would be awesome!

My Pace box also has what looks like a serial port off the back, but I;ve had no luck trying the serial port channel changer plugin, unless there is a new one that someone can point me to that would work for us unfortunate people living on the moon - err I mean New Zealand...

thanks for any help or ideas :)

snarlyboy

Portal Member
July 14, 2006
unless all us kiwis are supposed to be in that other thread, ;) do any of you have any thoughts on my questions above that may help?

arjay

Portal Pro
April 25, 2006
Coin, Spain
Just to give Aaron a pat on the back - his plugin works just fine with Sky and Pace digiboxes (over here in Europe anyway). It even has a section for preconfigured sky boxes - just select the default sky box (without any specific model numbers) - worked first time for me.

If you need any further help post here.

Regards

RJ

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom