Slow (30-60 sec) listing and starting of files from networked shares (1 Viewer)

iamajs

Portal Member
August 29, 2008
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
TV-Server Version: n/a
MediaPortal Version: SVN-Snapshot:-08-22-2008 21-25h
MediaPortal Skin: default
Windows Version: Vista Business
CPU Type: Athlon 64 X2 e8450
HDD: Seagate 160GB
Memory: 2gig ddr800
Motherboard: ASUS M3N78-EMH HDMI
Video Card: geforce 8200 mGPU
Video Card Driver: latest
Sound Card:
Sound Card AC3:
Sound Card Driver:
1. TV Card:
1. TV Card Type:
1. TV Card Driver:
2. TV Card:
2. TV Card Type:
2. TV Card Driver:
3. TV Card:
3. TV Card Type:
3. TV Card Driver:
4. TV Card:
4. TV Card Type:
4. TV Card Driver:
MPEG2 Video Codec:
MPEG2 Audio Codec:
h.264 Video Codec:
Satelite/CableTV Provider:
HTPC Case:
Cooling:
Power Supply:
Remote:
TV: samsung 5 series 40" lcd
TV - HTPC Connection: hdmi

Whenever I attempt to list a networked folder, or view a file on a network share within MP, whether it be for videos, music, or pictures, it takes around 30 seconds to list the directory. I am running a 10/100 MB ethernet link. Explorer in Vista browses these directories without any delay, so the problem seems to be MP related and not an issue with the network.

It seems I am not the only person with this problem, as there are other forum posts describing the same issue:
https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/newcomers-forum-240/slow-listing-39257/

Thankyou

ronilse

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 19, 2005
    Moss
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    Hi,
    Not able to reproduce this, but how have you added the network share(as mapped driver or in format \\MyNetworkServer\Movies)?

Regards
    Roy

iamajs

Portal Member
    August 29, 2008
    Home Country
    Thanks for the reply,

I'm currently mapping the share as a network drive. The server I'm mapping to is running samba on debian (linux+samba seems to be a common thing with everyone else experiencing this problem). Also, people have noted that this was not an issue in RC1, but surfaced in RC2. I thought this might be a linux/vista problem, but the shares perform normal when viewed from explorer in windows, and perform just fine from my mac and other linux workstations.

Thanks

ronilse

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 19, 2005
    Moss
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    Hi,
    For a test can you use complete path like "\\MyServer\FolderWithSomething" & see if speed are better?

Regards
    Roy

iamajs

Portal Member
    August 29, 2008
    Home Country
    I get the same result using the complete path, as well as the IP address of the server directly. Its strange, not only the listing of folders is extremely slow, but also opening files is just as slow. However, once a video is opened, it plays fine.

gloomyandy

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 15, 2006
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    I'm also seeing this (but not to the same extent), things like deleting a file and starting to play it are much slower than they used to be... Problem is I upgraded everything (hardware, OS, MP, Network), the only thing that stays the same is the server, so I can't say what is causing the problem...

Andy

ronilse

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 19, 2005
    Moss
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    Hi,
    Yeah, update this & update that you never know whats causing issues, as an example i was just playing with hd channels & had to install hauppauge wintv to test/compare something on uninstall of that again & reboot, vista got corrupted(system reg coudn't be found). Bah always something funny :p
    Good thing is, i now get a fresh install again & can test RC2 installer clean, to bad it take some time(i have a backup, but think a clean it's best now) ;)

Regards
    Roy

iamajs

Portal Member
    August 29, 2008
    Home Country
    Heres some more input on this issue. I've moved all my movie files into alphabetically organized folders. This drastically decreased the time it takes to list the directory. Though, I still think there is something wrong here since listing the directory directly correlates to how long it takes to open a file within the directory. So, say a directory takes 25 seconds to list, it takes a video file from that directory 25 seconds to open. For a frame of reference, before organizing the video directory, there were ~ 800 video files in a single directory. After organizing, the "T" directory has ~ 200 video files, and the directory still takes a noticeable amount of time to list/start a video file.

One other thing, I have not had a chance to try this with windows as a server backend sharing the directories. All these files are being shared by a debian server running samba. I've tried the latest version of ubuntu/samba as the server share and the problem persists. So perhaps this is a problem with the way samba and linux work with vista. I don't have another computer running windows, so I cannot test this theory.

Thanks for taking the time to look into this issue!

Swede

Portal Pro
    September 6, 2006
    West Coast Archipelago
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    Same problem here, with Vista as server and XP in clients. I think maybe that the problem first started around when Vista upgraded to SP1 and XP upgraded to SP3. I guess it has something to do with SQL handling i MP

I wonder if anyone, using shares view on a client, with a deacent amount of shares (witch could be music, pictures or movies) has a quick listing?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom