[confirm] - Slow channel changing... sometimes freeze

Discussion in 'MediaPortal 1.2.0 RC' started by domb, August 29, 2011.

1. domb

domb Portal Pro

Ratings:
    +7 / 0
    I've had an issue since 1.2 beta. When changing channels the picture goes black for around 8 seconds, then plays the old channel i had on for a few seconds... then eventually either changes to the new channel or just freezes.

This seems to happen after the first channel change, and no seems to happen regardless of what i do. I've tried disabling some of the tuners in tv-server but it makes no difference. Its a standalone setup with tv-server/mediaportal on the same machine. All channel scans up to date etc. HD channels only mapped to the dvb-t2 tuner. No other problems that I can see.

I waited until 1.2 RC to see if it had been fixed but no go. I use 3 tuners in total.

1 dual dvb tuner - KWorld PC160-2T
    1 dvb-t2 tuner - Hauppauge 290e

Mobo: Asus P5E-VM HDMI
    CPU: Q6600 @ 3ghz
    RAM: 4 x 1GB @ 1066

UPDATED LOGS ATTACHED WITH CHANNEL CHANGE THAT FROZE MEDIAPORTAL COMPLETELY

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. arion_p
    • Premium Supporter

arion_p Retired Team Member

Developer
    Ratings:
    +1,522 / 0
    Home Country:
    Greece Greece
    Show System Specs
    From your logs it appears that none of the tuners of the dual tuner can lock on the signal. So MP tries the 1st tuner, fails then tries the 2nd, fails again then finally tries the 3rd (Hauppauge 290e) and succeeds.

Try changing from "Pause card" to "Stop card" in advanced tuning options for this card. Also try changing the preferred Network Provider (if more than one is available for your card).

I have no clue about the freeze but it is most likely a different issue, so you should start a new bug report about it.

• Like Like x 2
  4. mm1352000
    • Team MediaPortal

mm1352000 Development Group

Ratings:
    +8,205 / 17
    Home Country:
    New Zealand New Zealand
    I 100% concur with Arion :)

5. K24A3
    • Premium Supporter

K24A3 MP Donator

Ratings:
    +4 / 0
    Home Country:
    Show System Specs
    Sounds like you had the same problem as me.
    Change the Network Provider for all DVB-T tuners to "DVB-T" in the TV Server Settings.

6. domb

domb Portal Pro

Ratings:
    +7 / 0
    I am fairly sure I've done both of those things already but I shall tripple check. Thanks for the help.

Out of interest why would this happen even if I disable the KWorld tuners? I've tried that and the same thing happens.

7. mm1352000
    • Team MediaPortal

mm1352000 Development Group

Ratings:
    +8,205 / 17
    Home Country:
    New Zealand New Zealand
    That is something I can't explain. You'd have to post logs again showing this.

8. K24A3
    • Premium Supporter

K24A3 MP Donator

Ratings:
    +4 / 0
    Home Country:
    Show System Specs
    Attached is a screenshot of my setup if it's any help. Ensure you change the Network Provider on every tuner for each card. I have IPTV and RadioWebStream disabled but I'm not sure if that makes any difference.

The problem was happening with my Hauppauge tuner so perhaps your Hauppauge tuner is the cause rather than the KWorld.

Some more things to check/try:
    - Update Win7 to Service Pack 1
    - Update the drivers for both the KWorld and Hauppauge
    - Go into ControlPanel->AdminTools->Services and disable any service belonging to KWorld and Hauppauge. My Hauppauge installed it's own TV Service which was conflicting with MediaPortals TV Service.
    - If your Tuners are USB dongles, try a different USB port. Some ports have lower power output than others or the power is shared amongst multiple ports.
    -Retune all your channels in case there was a broadcaster change.

Attached Files:

• Capture.PNG
      Capture.PNG
      File size:
      199.8 KB
      Uploaded:
      August 30, 2011
      Views:
  9. domb

domb Portal Pro

Ratings:
    +7 / 0
    I've definitely already made the DVB-T change to the tuners. Just got to double check the pause/stop card but I know I've played about with that in the past and its made no difference. I only ever install the drivers, that doesn't install a service. Just seen another unwatchable TV issue popup and it sounds similar.

Anyway, I'll tripple check my settings, give you screenshots and go from there.

Also have the same odd PAT error all over my tswriter logs:

29-08-2011 22:07:18.461 pmtgrabber: search pmt from PAT for sid:3be0
    29-08-2011 22:07:18.539 PMT Pid wasn't found on the PAT. Channel may have moved, try a new channel scan.
    29-08-2011 22:07:18.633 PMT Pid wasn't found on the PAT. Channel may have moved, try a new channel scan.
    29-08-2011 22:07:18.727 PMT Pid wasn't found on the PAT. Channel may have moved, try a new channel scan.
    29-08-2011 22:07:18.836 PMT Pid wasn't found on the PAT. Channel may have moved, try a new channel scan.
    29-08-2011 22:07:18.929 PMT Pid wasn't found on the PAT. Channel may have moved, try a new channel scan.
    29-08-2011 22:07:19.07 PMT Pid wasn't found on the PAT. Channel may have moved, try a new channel scan.
    29-08-2011 22:07:19.132 PMT Pid wasn't found on the PAT. Channel may have moved, try a new channel scan.
    29-08-2011 22:07:19.226 PMT Pid wasn't found on the PAT. Channel may have moved, try a new channel scan.
    29-08-2011 22:07:19.319 PMT Pid wasn't found on the PAT. Channel may have moved, try a new channel scan.
    29-08-2011 22:07:19.429 PMT Pid wasn't found on the PAT. Channel may have moved, try a new channel scan.
    29-08-2011 22:07:19.522 PMT Pid wasn't found on the PAT. Channel may have moved, try a new channel scan.
    29-08-2011 22:07:19.631 PMT Pid wasn't found on the PAT. Channel may have moved, try a new channel scan.
    29-08-2011 22:07:19.725 PMT Pid wasn't found on the PAT. Channel may have moved, try a new channel scan.
    29-08-2011 22:07:19.819 PMT Pid wasn't found on the PAT. Channel may have moved, try a new channel scan.

10. K24A3
    • Premium Supporter

K24A3 MP Donator

Ratings:
    +4 / 0
    Home Country:
    Show System Specs
    Can you go into the TV Service Settings -> Manual Control and tell us what you see in the list?

Maybe the tuner(s) are busy doing something else. The tuner may be locked on a channel after a recording, or grabbing EPG, etc..

11. jestermgee

jestermgee Portal Pro

Technical Support
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Home Country:
    Show System Specs
    I have the same issue. Been fighting with channel issues since 1.0.3...

I have only the SAF codec pack installed and have all manner of issues of one form or another.

Using all ffdshow settings all works well but in South Australia if I switch from any channel to ABC24 or from ABC24 to any other channel the picture freezes. (log attached)

If I use the MPC MPEG2 codec for video then I get breakups of the image on some channels and horrible interlacing issues which cause blury video (which has been the case always but I am trying to get over this by not using the MPC codecs).

I have tried different combinations of codecs of the MPC and ffdshow ones for days now and when one problem is fixed by a different combination it introduces another issue.

I have had no issues using older versions of MP except occasional video dropouts but this happens on playback of video through MP too.

I only use MP for live tv and it has always been the most painful thing to get going. Takes days

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice
  • About The Project

The vision of the MediaPortal project is to create a free open source media centre application, which supports all advanced media centre functions, and is accessible to all Windows users.

In reaching this goal we are working every day to make sure our software is one of the best.

• Support MediaPortal!

The team works very hard to make sure the community is running the best HTPC-software. We give away MediaPortal for free but hosting and software is not for us.

Care to support our work with a few bucks? We'd really appreciate it!