Slow network access (1 Viewer)

edgedemon

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 13, 2005
    Im currently using MP 1.1.2 with the streamed MP skin on a Win7 HTPC
    Since upgrading to 1.1.2, I have noticed a decrease in speed for access to network shares.
    I currently have the MyTVSeries and Moving Pictures plugins configured to access shares on my Window Home Server and at the moment it takes upto 5 mins before I see any files through the MP interace. Im running on a wired network and connected via Cat6 and gigabit router..
    Using windows explorer, access times are pretty much straight away, so I know it is a problem within MP..

How can I speed up network access, Im using UNC paths, not mapped drives.

Are there any options in Win7 or MP or the plugins themselves that I can set to increase the speed of accessing network shares, or maybe cache the info?

Any help gratefully received

M

spar1grep

Portal Member
    February 27, 2008
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Hello,

Using the IP address of your server in the UNC path instead of it's name will speed things up and rule out it being a name resolution problem that is slowing things down. Disable NetBIOS over TCP option on the NIC on the server where the files are hosted, if you have multiple NICs in the server disable NetBIOS over TCP on those ones too. Note that disabling NetBIOS over TCP may break other systems where you are referring to the server using it's name so be careful with that suggestion!

Thanks.

ryan20021982

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 27, 2008
    USA
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    If your going to use the IP address then make sure you set it up to use a static IP incase you restart and it gets assigned another IP

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom