Slow response when controling withouth focus (1 Viewer)

Lolita

Portal Pro
June 13, 2006
I run meida portal on secondary screen and controling it with dedicated remote (ati remote wonder). Problem is that wehn media portal don't have focus. And in my desired usage it is allways i got slow response from remote. When it have focus everything is running smoothly. I have set process priority to high in media portal configuration and i tryed set it to realtime in proccess manager, but nothing helped. I have 4CPUs and 4GB and nothing is under any significiant load why running media player withouth focus.

Any help?

My Config:
vista ultimate x64
q6600
4GB ddr2 ram
500GB raid1
radeon 2600XT 512MB

I will try nvidia graphic card tomorrow, because i don't like ati, but i think that it is not that bad

And im starting to think that my idea of having one system as normal PC and HTPC (mostly music player) is not real at this time of computer developement state ):

SciDoctor

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 2, 2005
    England
    You may not notice any differnence with NV either.

The MP GUI doesn't have exclusive DX so when not in focus acceleration is lost and FPS will plummet and also responsiveness ie remote.

USE '!' 'shift 1' to see the stats of MP

You will also notice that when you play a file or watch Tv the video has exclusive dx and when focus is lost there is no drop in response or loss of acceleration.

I'm not to sure if there is a way to enable GUI exclusive dx.

Lolita

Portal Pro
    June 13, 2006
    Well i would think that than software render will render what hardware don't, but CPU is still at about 3%. But I don't really understand this directX stuff. :(

I will try stats when i get my case done, now my system look like one big mess - http://xs123.xs.to/xs123/08022/DSC02509_resize.JPG . :)

BTW in windows media center i can't get my remote to work properly. And i don't know any real alternative to WMC and MP. :( why things just CAN'T work I WANT them to work? :)

I hope that media portal 2 will be here soon and will support remote wonder and SMB folders for music and video!

Lolita

Portal Pro
    June 13, 2006
    I didn't found any option for exclusive direct x mode only or something in MP options.

Is there any alternative without this problem that works with ati remote wonder?

I can wait for MP2, but i am considering buying MS remote for controlling vista windows media center (since there is no remote wonder plug-in for it), but i don't know if it is dedicated for application or i need to have focus on media center to make it work, do you know how it works? :)

SciDoctor

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 2, 2005
    England
    The option is within the 'direct show filter control' in MP config and for VMR9. When set it will only affect the VMR9 aspect and not the GUI.

It isn't the remote that is at fault it is the basics of the MS Windows display and how MP runs within this.

Lolita

Portal Pro
    June 13, 2006
    I know, i get it. And that is why it is even more sad!

But MediaPortal 2 gui looks like it is allways in DX exclusive ...

SciDoctor

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 2, 2005
    England
    Yes. The GUI during th RC1 period did remain selected DX exclsive if VMR9 was set as exclusive . It changed when RC2 came out, infact most GUI bugs (poor FPS ,wrong FPS lock, sluggish buggy behaviour) appeared when RC2 came on line and unfortunatly have remained to the present days code.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom