[solved] Small patch to allow channel selection outside of current group (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

DJBlu

Portal Pro
August 14, 2007
Llanelli
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Hi,

Attached is a patch to enable channel surfing to channels outside of the selected group.

When watching channel from group A to change to a channel from group B is

Mini Guide, <-- or --> then choose channel.

With this patch you can now Zap to the channel by keying in its number, it will zap to the channel and set the Group.

To use this you need to have channel selection by index de-selected.

Attachments

• TVNavigator.patch
    3.3 KB

elliottmc

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 7, 2005
    Cardiff, UK
    Home Country
    Hi,

Personally I think this defeats the point of being able to define channel groups. If you define channel groups, you may be doing this specifically so that you don't tune to those channels.

For me, I scan all channels, then I create a group for channels that I actually want. If I deleted the channels that I didn't want, then next time I need to rescan, they would come back and I would be in a mess. It is easier to leave them but define a group without them included. Tuning to those channels when using the number keys would feel like a bug to me.

Sorry, just my opinion.

Mark

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hi DJBlu

I like the idea of the patch but it would only work in practise if:
    - you don't use indexes
    - you have access to a single provider (assumption: logical channel numbers are unique within each provider's channel set)
    - you have access to multiple providers, and you manually re-number the channels to work around any LCN "collisions" (or you don't care about collisions - you end up switching to the first channel found with the appropriate channel number)

mark: do you use indexes or channel numbers for switching?

mm

DJBlu

Portal Pro
    August 14, 2007
    Llanelli
    Home Country
    Hi DJBlu

I like the idea of the patch but it would only work in practise if:
    - you don't use indexes
    - you have access to a single provider (assumption: logical channel numbers are unique within each provider's channel set)
    - you have access to multiple providers, and you manually re-number the channels to work around any LCN "collisions" (or you don't care about collisions - you end up switching to the first channel found with the appropriate channel number)

@Mark: do you use indexes or channel numbers for switching?

mm

This is for channel numbers only.

There is no change to the channel selection logic, its still first seen will be selected, all the patch does is move to the group that the channel belongs to.

It cuts down the whole, press ok -> change group -> select channel.

DJBlu

Portal Pro
    August 14, 2007
    Llanelli
    Home Country
    Hi,

Personally I think this defeats the point of being able to define channel groups. If you define channel groups, you may be doing this specifically so that you don't tune to those channels.

For me, I scan all channels, then I create a group for channels that I actually want. If I deleted the channels that I didn't want, then next time I need to rescan, they would come back and I would be in a mess. It is easier to leave them but define a group without them included. Tuning to those channels when using the number keys would feel like a bug to me.

Sorry, just my opinion.

Mark

I think you've missed what the patch does. I'll try and explain it a little better. It will not go to channels that are not in the Custom Groups nor will it Zap to channels that are not visible in the Guide. It mearly switches the Custom group you are in to another Custom group. If you disable the "All Channels Group" then there is no chance you can select a channel you do not want to see.

ajp8164

Portal Pro
    January 9, 2008
    Atlanta, GA
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    elliottmc - what are we doing with this suggestion? We should either move forward with the enhancement or reject it. We'll take your lead on this one ;-)

elliottmc

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 7, 2005
    Cardiff, UK
    Home Country
    I've had another think about this, and it seems to make sense, as long as only channels that are displayed in the EPG can be shown.

Mark

DragonQ

Portal Pro
    August 30, 2011
    Home Country
    Any progress on this? Would be very useful.

Right now, if I move to my Sports group to see what sport is on, then watch a channel from there, if I later want to switch back to an Entertainment channel, I can't just put in the number. I have to go back to the TV Guide or Mini Guide and choose the right category before then typing in the number. Seems very stupid.

IMO, groups should do just that - group channels into sections by genre when looking at them in the guide so it's easier to see what's on in certain genres. It shouldn't prevent you from typing in the number of other channels to go straight to them.

tourettes

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2005
    IMO, groups should do just that - group channels into sections by genre when looking at them in the guide so it's easier to see what's on in certain genres. It shouldn't prevent you from typing in the number of other channels to go straight to them.

Isn't it possible to have duplicate channel numbers from different sources (DVB-S + DVB-T for example). If it is possible then for those cases the grouping is required to behave like it currently does.

mbuzina

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 11, 2005
    Germany
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Could this be re-addressed? I think it is a quite good idea to select channels that are in a different group. Ideally:
    1. If selection by index is selected, nothing changes
    2. If selection by channel number is selected and the current group has a channel with this channel number, nothing changes (that is the one selected)
    3. In any other case, the first found channel that has the selected channel number is selected, the group is changed to the first group that this channel belongs too.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom