Smallest, quietest HTPC possible? (1 Viewer)

BillyTheFish

Portal Pro
September 5, 2008
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
I have been out of HTPCs for a while and am just thinking about a new build. I'm am completely out of date on my hardware and so could do with a bit of help or a point in the right direction.

Basically, I want to build a HTPC to do the following:

1) Act as a TV Server for 3D and HD content. I've posted here to ask about TV cards:
https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/tv-cards-333/3d-wimbledon-97511/#post755559

2) Be as small, quiet and unobtrusive as possible.

3) Play Blu-rays (including 3D blu-rays), DVDs and CDs.

4) Have a front/easily accessible USB 3 port.

5) Be able to play photos contained on flash drives, external harddrives, SD cards.

6) It needs to have enough storage for time-shifiting and recording TV programmes but it will be connected to a large-capacity NAS running FreeNAS using homeplugs, via a router.

7) I would like to be able to play media files from the FreeNAS box on the HTPC (some of it will be HD/3D content).

8) It will be connected to this amplifier: Yamaha RX-V1065
And a sub and 6 satellite Q ACOUSTICS 1000Si speakers.

9) And I would like to use it for internet radio/music/etc.

Any suggestions?

Oh, yes, remote. I've got a Logitech Harmony ONE but I've never really got it set up to work how I would like it and so have generally fallen back to using a wireless keyboard.

I've got a Samsung Galaxy S2 and so was thinking about installing and using AmpDroid or Media Portal Remote. Is this a good idea?

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hi again

*Lots* of questions. You're really going to have to do your own research on a lot of this stuff to narrow down the options to cases that you like the look of etc.

1) Act as a TV Server for 3D and HD content. I've posted here to ask about TV cards:
    https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/tv-cards-333/3d-wimbledon-97511/#post755559
    Answered in that thread.

2) Be as small, quiet and unobtrusive as possible.
    You probably want a mini-ITX form factor. Plenty of motherboards and cases available. Some cases end up approximately as small as a shoe box.

3) Play Blu-rays (including 3D blu-rays), DVDs and CDs.
    You might want to look at this. MP will probably never be able to natively handle *copy-protected* Blu-rays, but anything else might be possible. The caveats with 3D content that I mentioned in the other thread also apply.

4) Have a front/easily accessible USB 3 port.
    When it comes to cases, everyone has their own preferences - I think you'll have to do your own research. Note that the USB 3 requirement probably limits you to quite a new chipset such as H67 or Z68.

5) Be able to play photos contained on flash drives, external harddrives, SD cards.
    MP can do that. Just set up the drives/cards as folders in MP configuration. You'll be able to view the pictures as a slideshow etc. in "my pictures".

6) It needs to have enough storage for time-shifiting and recording TV programmes but it will be connected to a large-capacity NAS running FreeNAS using homeplugs, via a router.
    You'll most likely want a reasonable size 7200rpm drive for recording and timeshifting. In my experience, Samsung HDDs are quiet and reliable. The alternative would be setting up a 4-8 GB RAM disc and using that for timeshifting, and having a medium sized cheap (relatively speaking!) SSD for recording. Timeshifting on the SSD may wear it out too quickly. Can't speak for the NAS but as long as it is available to browse as a network share then I don't imagine it would be a problem.

7) I would like to be able to play media files from the FreeNAS box on the HTPC (some of it will be HD/3D content).
    As above - as long as it is accessible to the HTPC as a folder/share/FTP folder via the network then it shouldn't be a problem.

8) It will be connected to this amplifier: Yamaha RX-V1065
    And a sub and 6 satellite Q ACOUSTICS 1000Si speakers.
    HDMI is standard on many video cards these days, so that shouldn't be a problem. The display is the bigger question - you need to decide what you are going to show the 3D content on. If it is a TV then the TV and the video card have to support HDMI 1.4. If the receiver is passing the HDMI to the TV then the receiver would also have to support HDMI 1.4.

9) And I would like to use it for internet radio/music/etc.
    No problem. Set up your music folders in MP and you're away with that. Internet streaming (SHOUTcast) etc. can be set up in TV Server using the virtual radio web stream card. There is also OnlineVideos for streaming video...

Oh, yes, remote. I've got a Logitech Harmony ONE but I've never really got it set up to work how I would like it and so have generally fallen back to using a wireless keyboard.

I've got a Samsung Galaxy S2 and so was thinking about installing and using AmpDroid or Media Portal Remote. Is this a good idea?
    No idea.

BillyTheFish

Portal Pro
    September 5, 2008
    Home Country
    Thanks, that's an absolutely fantastic reply! I guess I've got a lot of reading and research to do but that is a great push in the right direction.

Thank you and I will post back here as I narrow it down.

furnibird

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 15, 2008
    Sydney
    My new build running GREAT

i3-2100T
    H67M-ITX AsRock Motherboard
    4GB Kingston DDR3 RAM
    1tb WD SATA 3 Caviar Blue 7200rpm HDD
    Silverstone SG06 Black Case
    Avermedia Twinstar DVB-T Dual HD Digital TV Tuner A825

porky996t

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 21, 2008
    Bolton, Lancashire, England
    Home Country
    England England
    Don't know if it is what you are looking for, but I use a Zotac ZBox ID41 as a client.

This has Optical SPDIF out, HDMI for the TV, 2xUSB 3.0 ports (along with four USB 2.0 ports, Wireless N, Gigabit network interface, and it will run 1920 X 1080. The box is approx 8" x 8" x 1.5".

I use a MCE remote with it via a USB IR receiver. The unit is mounted on the rear of the TV in the bedroom and is very, very quiet.

The spec for the ID41 is here

There is a version with a BD player and 3D capability here

I use mine with a 64Gb SSD and I cannot fault it.

HTH

Holzi

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • April 21, 2010
    Ba-Wü
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    AW: Re: Smallest, quietest HTPC possible?

My new build running GREAT

i3-2100T
    H67M-ITX AsRock Motherboard
    4GB Kingston DDR3 RAM
    1tb WD SATA 3 Caviar Blue 7200rpm HDD
    Silverstone SG06 Black Case
    Avermedia Twinstar DVB-T Dual HD Digital TV Tuner A825

I have the same case and its very small. Was a hell of a job to get all components in it.. =)

furnibird

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 15, 2008
    Sydney
    Heaps of room with the mini-itx :)

Attachments

• C360_2011-06-13 11-38-26.jpg
      C360_2011-06-13 11-38-26.jpg
      293.9 KB

Holzi

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • April 21, 2010
    Ba-Wü
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    AW: Smallest, quietest HTPC possible?

Your CPU cooler is way lower than mine it seems. But you don't have an extra graphic card an no second HDD do you?

furnibird

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 15, 2008
    Sydney
    No the in build graphic work fantastic and will in the future get a ssd for os. The htpc this replaced was a p4 3mhz 4gig ram and a ati 4525 full size accent case. MP would lag and couldn't even run the new cover flow, my new build will boot in about 15sec and MP new ui runs great. For $630 au i am very happy.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk

BillyTheFish

Portal Pro
    September 5, 2008
    Home Country
    I have an Antec Fusion Black which I could re-cycle for this. Does anyone have experience of the Antec and the Silverstone SG06B and whether it's worth me getting the SG06B?

I have just moved flats and space is at a bit of a premium and so I'm keen to minimise the HTPC. I do want it a bit future proof, though, as I don't want to build/buy another for a good few years and so it has to be fairly high spec'ed. I've got a fair budget for it (around £2,000) but don't want to waste money if I can help it.

My current thoughts are:

CPU - Intel Core i7-860 (may be overkill? It will last me for a long while however)
    Some sort of passive cooling

Mobo - Asus P7P55D-E Premium (for the 9.1 Output and USB 3.0)

RAM - G.Skill DIMM Kit 4GB PC3-10667U CL9-9-9-24 (DDR3-1333)

graphic card - ASUS Bravo 220 Silent or Radeon 5770 -I haven't really looked into this properly yet and so I'm not sure which or whether there is a better alternative.

remote - Logitech Harmony One (already have)

Keyboard / Touchpad - I already have a Keysonic Wireless Mini Keyboard and so I think I will use that

PSU - Probably a seasonic fanless (not sure how much wattage I need?)

SSD - for the OS and MP - OCZ Vertex 2E - probably 40gb
    HDD - for timeshifting and recordings - Western Digital GP - probably 1TB

TV Card - Black Gold BGT3630 when it comes out so that I can receive Freesat, HD channels and (hopefully) 3D content. I was going to just get a BGT3595 but I can't find it on their website any more. Has it been discontinued?

I think that's it. Am I missing anything and does anyone have any thoughts on the above setup?

Oh, yes, I also have a "LG Electronics Blu-Ray & HD-DVD-Rom Combo 16x DVDRW Black SATA" (LG GGC H20L). Is that good enough and can I just re-cycle that?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom