"Smart" Image scaling (1 Viewer)

UndaC

Portal Member
October 30, 2005
I have a feature request and I have to start of by saying that I have no idea wether this is easy, hard or even possible to implement. :)

What I would like is a smart scaling feature that recognizes letterboxed transmissions and automatically expand them to full screen size.

ie if there's a large enough black border above and below the "active picture" MP would automagically crop those borders and strech it up to full screen.

Personally I just run "Normal" for now because getting into the aspect ratio/zoom settings is not possible while using the MCE remote (I'd have to bring out my keyboard and mouse everytime).
Having an automated mode (I know some TV's have this) would be very nice indeed.

I also have a question, does MP handle all image scaling itself rather then letting the codec or graphics card do it? To me it would seem so since I get higher quality when I record a TV show and play it back in ZoomPlayer than just watching it live. (This could of course be due to a number of reasons, I'm just curious)

monkeywiz

March 31, 2006
this one has my vote

I agree this would be the ideal soloution.

I've just installed MP onto my old PC and have it dedicated to just my TV instead of a freeview settop box, the only problem getting my girlfriend to use it instead of the box is the fact the aspect ratio needs to be changed depending on which channel/program you're watching, I can put up with this as it means I no longer have to sit through adverts, but the less buttons that need pressing the more likely she is to use it/let me use it whilst she's watching something :)

cheffe97

Portal Pro
August 10, 2004
Berlin, Germany
yepp. A feature like that would be very useful. Maybe i can make a further suggestion: A feature like the wanted would need an option in the setup saying what display you have (16:9 or 4:3). Then MP would have to check say every 5sec what type the picture is and crop and scale it accordingly. Btw most of the encoder progs like Dr. Divx do the cropping suggestion, maybe you can look there how to make it.

and another btw: I suggested this almost a year ago (https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/viewtopic.php?t=7260&highlight=) ... so do not put all your hopes in it :)

thx and cheers
cheffe

dfbb

Portal Pro
January 27, 2005
Gelderland
Home Country
Netherlands Netherlands
I also asked for this feature before. I referenced to DScaler, which has this detection already built-in (we could use DScaler too for software-based cards) and is open-source.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom