smart mode for viewing 4:3 as 16:9

Discussion in 'Improvement Suggestions' started by dipunm, September 2, 2006.

1. dipunm

dipunm Portal Pro

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    I use a sony tv and i REALLY like the smart mode feature... it works really well.

i initially thought it was just another aspect ratio but then i read this:

would this be hard to make? as said it only squashes the top and bottom (maybe proportionally to the distance from top/bottom edge) if this could be done, it would make my day... oh and then it should detect when a 4:3 picture comes up and play it as smart automatically ;)

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. mbuzina
    • Premium Supporter

mbuzina Retired Team Member

Ratings:
    +723 / 4
    Home Country:
    Germany Germany
    Show System Specs
    fddshow already has a streching mode which could do this, it stretches the left/right edges while squishing the top /bottom edges (kind of a pincushion effect). But it is not as smart as some TVs (like mine), which balance the output based on the input pretty well (philips).

4. dipunm

dipunm Portal Pro

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    hmm, how do i enable this aspect ratio on mp or how do i enable it could you giv me step by step instructions as im new to fddshow

5. mbuzina
    • Premium Supporter

mbuzina Retired Team Member

Ratings:
    +723 / 4
    Home Country:
    Germany Germany
    Show System Specs
    Well, approx:
    1. Install FDDSHOW
    2. Configure it to do the Morphing Zoom (which is a bit difficult and you probably should search the web for fddshow instructions, there are some good ones).
    3. Set Config for TV (or Video, DVD) to PostProcessing with fddshow.

Then it should work. Remember that this will require some tweaking to get it right.

(I am not using it, but I know it is possible).

6. dipunm

dipunm Portal Pro

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    hmm, i spent quite alot of time on this and i cant find the option... i found on the net something about warped resize so i tried to look for this... still no luck if you know of a site which can set me on the right pathm plz post a link :D

also it seems cyberlink hav a similar thing on their newer codecs... can this be used? i say this cos i hear ffdshow yealds bad qual pics. and will cyberlinks codec work with all video media types?

7. jawbroken

jawbroken Portal Pro

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Home Country:
    Afghanistan Afghanistan
    Any non-linear scaling operation is going to reduce quality somewhat. On a CRT television it is a little different, as you can just modify the ramp for the scanning of rows and columns to be non-linear and squash the image at the top (though you get an increase in brightness unless you also modify the amplitude of the electron gun).

That said, if you are considering watching 4:3 video stretched to a 16:9 television, I would guess that high quality video is not a huge concern? I would give ffdshow a shot first.

8. dipunm

dipunm Portal Pro

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    i would give it a try, if only i could find a way to do it... as ii said, ive searched the net, checked through the settings and i cant find anything that resembles this feature.. i read about warped resize, which is what i think is the option (morphed resize doesnt seem to exist even on the net), but theres no such option, and i downloaded what i think is the latest version

*edit*
    warped resize is only to do with avisynth which brings me to 2 problems, 1 i dont know how to detect which images to apply this filter to, and 2 this only works on avis not wmv's or mpegs

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice
  • About The Project

The vision of the MediaPortal project is to create a free open source media centre application, which supports all advanced media centre functions, and is accessible to all Windows users.

In reaching this goal we are working every day to make sure our software is one of the best.

• Support MediaPortal!

The team works very hard to make sure the community is running the best HTPC-software. We give away MediaPortal for free but hosting and software is not for us.

Care to support our work with a few bucks? We'd really appreciate it!