SmartWi: A *legal* way to do smartcard sharing

Discussion in 'Tips and Tricks' started by ziphnor, February 16, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ziphnor
    • Premium Supporter

ziphnor Retired Team Member

Ratings:
    +13 / 0
    Home Country:
    Denmark Denmark
    Hi,

Setting up a DVB-C/T/S dual-tuner(or triple etc) is problematic at best because you need to buy not only multiple tuner cards, but also a seperate CAM and smartcard(which sometimes means paying the subscription twice).

Without some kind of seperate smartcard reader support in MediaPortal( i dont dare discuss this topic due to all the legal issues apparantly surronding this :) you *will* need to buy multiple CAMs. However you dont need to buy multiple smartcards. I came upon the following product which actually works( i can confirm that it works with ViAccess CAMs and Twinhan Cab CI cards ):

http://www.smartwi.net/

SmartWi is just a cardreader(master box) into which you put your *original* smartcard. You then put wireless slave cards into each of the tuners. Now when a tuner+CAM needs to query the smartcard, it asks the slave which then sends the request to the cardreader containing the real smartcard. The answer is then transmitted back to the slave card which can then respond to the tuner+CAM.

Note that SmartWi doesnt in any way compromise the security of the card, it doesnt enable you to view something you havent paid for, it doesnt enable copying smartcards in, and the limited range of the wireless transmission means it cannot be abused to share the smartcard among several households.

The product has recieved reviews in mainstream magazines, and should be entirely legal to use.

And no, i dont work for them :) I was just pleasantly surprised to find that i didnt have to pay the cable tv subscription twice and thought this information might be useful for other people contemplating dual DVB tuner systems.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. dman_lfc
    • Premium Supporter

dman_lfc Retired Team Member

Sales Manager
    Ratings:
    +30 / 0
    Home Country:
    New Zealand New Zealand
    The MediaPortal Team accept no responsibility for users using this device if it is deemed 'illegal' in your country.

This is a commercial product solution which requires no code modifications to make this functionality work.

DMAN

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice
  • About The Project

The vision of the MediaPortal project is to create a free open source media centre application, which supports all advanced media centre functions, and is accessible to all Windows users.

In reaching this goal we are working every day to make sure our software is one of the best.

• Support MediaPortal!

The team works very hard to make sure the community is running the best HTPC-software. We give away MediaPortal for free but hosting and software is not for us.

Care to support our work with a few bucks? We'd really appreciate it!