Solution for ALL/most Software-encoder based TV-Cards (1 Viewer)

naibaf7

Portal Member
December 4, 2010
Home Country
Switzerland Switzerland
I extracted/modified the MainConcept (Hauppauge) MPEG2-Encoder Files for the use with ALL Software-Encoder based cards (ALL Brands, works with hauppauge, terratec etc. and Media Portal 1.2 (maybe also with olders, didn't test it).

:sorry:

Look at page 2 for a Howto

LINKS removed for the moment until illegal/legal situation is clear and a solution found to give you the Encoders!
For those who really need them, PM-me!
:D

Just copy the content of this ZIP-File into your Program Files folder on your computer and run the "Codecins.exe" as administrator to install all those encoders. If you wish to uninstall, use "Codecunins.exe" as administrator, it will delete all references to the codecs. Then you can simply delete the whole folder. It's 100% clean, I even included the Sourcecodes of the installer/uninstaller.

I made this fix because the WinDVR3 InterVideo Encoders often cause problems (audio/video desync, TV service failure, etc.) and it's really hard to get non-time-limited Encoders (MPEG) that are supported by MediaPortal (most of them are locked for a specific card brand).

Have fun,

naibaf710

Edit:
Additional Information: It might be necessary to uninstall ALL other MPEG encoders (with Codecsniper) because they might be preferred by MediaPortal (if Version is older than 1.2 (which supports manual Encoder selection)).

SilentException

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 27, 2008
    Rijeka, Croatia
    Home Country
    Croatia Croatia
    Wow, cannot believe this didn't get more attention. As I know what pain finding a proper (good) encoder for software based cards I wanna thank you 1000x :)

naibaf7

Portal Member
    December 4, 2010
    Home Country
    Switzerland Switzerland
    AW: Solution for ALL/most Software-encoder based TV-Cards

So this did work for you?

Well if so, that's just great. I had around 3-4 days just to get the right Software that has a proper encoder included and another day to rip the encoders out and make a new package...
    I have to say tho, InterVideo Encoder has a better image quality, but heck... what helps this if the encoder is not stable?
    I'd prefer MainConcept Encoders then ;) :D

If anyone wonders where I've stolen the encoders from: Hauppauge WinTV 6, CD 4.6b, subfolder WinPVR in the data1-2 cabinet files... newer and older WinTV versions don't include THIS encoders... but it seems as if only THIS would work with MP. By the way the quality with MainConcept MPEG encoders is muuch better than the image quality in Microsoft MCE...

have fun!

SilentException

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 27, 2008
    Rijeka, Croatia
    Home Country
    Croatia Croatia
    I will test it tomorrow. Currently I think I'm using ATI encoder that MisterD provided for me (even tho I don't have ATI graphic card). But I remember how much time I had to spent before that happened to find a good one :)

naibaf7

Portal Member
    December 4, 2010
    Home Country
    Switzerland Switzerland

Oh nice!
    I was looking for the ATI one too (for a long time) but I couldn't find it...
    X

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    I was about to PM and say thank you *quietly*, but since SilentException has also commented:

a ***huge*** thank you for this!!! :D

Will test this evening when I get home.
    I've been trying to get the Avermedia, Pinnacle, PC-TV Systems, Mainconcept and Hauppauge encoders to work but they refuse to co-operate with my capture filter (can't connect pins). I expect this is because they are restricted to specific tuners. Any tips for working around this?

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Tested - function for me is pretty average:
    - picture quality = average
    - video/audio sync = not good
    - dropped frames/jitter = average
    - CPU usage = medium/high - generally between 30 and 40%, but up to ~70% on some of my channels

In my opinion, not as good as the ATI AVIVO 10.9 encoder:
    - picture quality = average/good
    - video/audio sync = reasonable
    - dropped frames/jitter = none, but occasional drops to low FPS
    - CPU usage = medium/low ~20%

Subjectively, I think the Intervideo encoder from WinDVR 3 is slightly better again:
    - video/audio sync = good
    - dropped frames/jitter = none, stable
    - CPU usage = medium/low ~15-25%

For those who have it, the Cyberlink encoder included in the last version of Twinhan's DigitalTV (DigitalTV 3.4, encoder dated 2005, version 5.0.0.1305) is somewhere between the Hauppauge and the ATI:
    - video/audio sync = good
    - dropped frames/jitter = some (I think this is because it tries to run at 60FPS; it should run at 50 for PAL)
    - CPU usage = medium ~20-30%
    *This encoder seems to "get lost" sometimes on change of channel.

System setup:
    Intel Core2 e6600 2.4GHz
    Windows XP SP3
    4GB RAM (3GB usable)
    MediaPortal SVN build 1.2.0b
    Test resolution 952x531 (windowed mode)

Thank you once again :D

naibaf7

Portal Member
    December 4, 2010
    Home Country
    Switzerland Switzerland

This seems to be weird...

it might depend on the card that you're using...
    I also noticed audio/video-desync if you don't stop timeshift buffer while switching channels!
    However, this encoder still seems to be best for the Terratec cards, where Intervideo doesn't work at all.

Ah @developers... Terratecs TV software also includes a supported (!!!) Encoder, I think it's the "CyberLink (Terratec) MPEG Encoder" or it was "MainConcept (Terratec) MPEG Encoder", don't remember exactly, but it is NOT detected by MP. On the other hand this encoder is very bad, CPU usage up to 60% and quality is bad.

I'll try out the ATI Encoders today and compare it to the MainConcept (which seem to work pretty well at the moment, average CPU is 20%, peak 40% on AMD Athlon II X2 245 (2.9GHz))

However, this week, I'll code an "Encoder package", including all the encoders I'll find, with a GUI to choose which ones you want to install and uninstall. Might be best for all those who don't have a lot of time for looking for those encoders...

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Re: AW: Solution for ALL/most Software-encoder based TV-Cards

it might depend on the card that you're using...
    Absolutely.

I also noticed audio/video-desync if you don't stop timeshift buffer while switching channels!
    That is what I noticed as well. Sometimes it was in sync after channel changes, but usually it was out...

However, this encoder still seems to be best for the Terratec cards, where Intervideo doesn't work at all.

Ah @developers... Terratecs TV software also includes a supported (!!!) Encoder, I think it's the "CyberLink (Terratec) MPEG Encoder" or it was "MainConcept (Terratec) MPEG Encoder", don't remember exactly, but it is NOT detected by MP. On the other hand this encoder is very bad, CPU usage up to 60% and quality is bad.
    If it is the encoder that is distributed with Terratec cards then we should try it in MP. All that is required with 1.2.0a is to add an entry to the database. Pre-1.2.0 it requires code changes...

naibaf7

Portal Member
    December 4, 2010
    Home Country
    Switzerland Switzerland

I made a Package now including:
    -Installer for the Codecs
    -MainConcept Encoder (from Hauppauge)
    -InterVideo Encoder (from WinDVR3)
    -CyberLink X64 and X86 Encoder (from Twinhan)
    -ATI Encoder (from ATI AVIVO package 10-11)

BUT it might be illegal to post them here. So if anyone needs them --> PM me until the situation is clear! :sorry:

Installation help for those who have it:
    -MP 1.1.2 and older: only install one encoder, uninstall all others (with codecsniper)
    -MP 1.2.: you can select the encoder under TV-Setup-->General-->Software Encoder, therefore you can install as many encoders as you wish!
    -You have to copy the content of the ZIP file into your Program Files folder and there you have to run Configuration.exe as administrator (otherwise you get no errors but it will not work at all, because regsvr32 needs to be runned as administrator).

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom