[solved] Alright, I need help with BD ISO's (1 Viewer)

ShadowB123

Portal Member
December 14, 2011
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
I spent several hours reading post after post on trying to get MP to load and play my BD ISO files with menus, without any luck.

It is my understanding MP is not able to play BD ISOs with menus right out of the box and I will need to use an external player, like PowerDVD or VLC.

I have tested VLC and I am able to play my BD ISO files with menu without having to install a virtual drive.

As I have read in many posts I will need to install a virtual drive for it to work with MP, which I have done (Virtual CloneDrive).

MP will startup VLC but it will not play the file.

Can someone give me step by step instructions on how to get MP to load and play my BD ISOs with VLC.

Please do not send me links as I have been following one link after another all day trying to get this to work.

I prefer not to compress my files so I do not degrade the quality of the video.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    It is my understanding MP is not able to play BD ISOs with menus right out of the box and I will need to use an external player, like PowerDVD or VLC.
    That's false.

Do you want to try using the native Blu-Ray menu support, or do you prefer to keep going down the VLC route?

ShadowB123

Portal Member
    December 14, 2011
    Home Country
    Thanks mm1352000 for the speedy response,

Since I have been dealing with VLC and MP for several hours, I would like to see VLC work with MP.
    I have seen the BD native work but, it does not work on all BD menus.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Since I have been dealing with VLC and MP for several hours, I would like to see VLC work with MP.
    Okay, fair enough, though I can't help you on that front.

I have seen the BD native work but, it does not work on all BD menus.
    In theory any menus that work in VLC should also work in MP [because we're using the same BD support library], so I'd be interested to know which menus are not working for you. Naturally I'm assuming you installed the required JRE or JDK.

ShadowB123

Portal Member
    December 14, 2011
    Home Country
    I am a newbie with java, I see that MP recommends the Java 8u151 in x86 version and Java website has since released 8u161 & 8u162 versions. Does it matter which version? I used the 8u151 and all I saw was a blank screen after I selected the menu option from the list. I also tried 8u161 & 8u162, tell you the truth I do not remember both outcomes since I have been trying to get VLC to work.

I am not exactly sure what the difference is between JRE or JDK, Does it matter for MP? just as long it is 32bit correct?

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Does it matter which version?
    No, it shouldn't particularly matter for the versions that you mentioned. It might for 1.7 vs. 1.8 vs. 1.9, or for u1 vs. u50 (ie. large gap in update number).

...all I saw was a blank screen after I selected the menu option from the list.
    You said you wanted to pursue the VLC option, and I want to respect your choice. Therefore I will only say that there are other factors such as codec and video renderer choice that can cause what you've seen. Nothing more can be ascertained without access to full debug log files. I was simply curious as to which Blu-Rays were giving you trouble, not so much how they were giving you trouble.

Does it matter for MP? just as long it is 32bit correct?
    Yes, it's my understanding that 32 bit is the primary requirement. However, I may be mistaken. When I've tested Blu-Ray menus in the past its been with a JDK.

ShadowB123

Portal Member
    December 14, 2011
    Home Country
    Here are my findings...

I downloaded Java version jdk-8u161-windows-i586 and what did I see after selecting the menu option from the list? MP started playing the BD menu from the ISO.

Wow, I wish I found this 4 aspirins and 15 hours ago.

Thanks mm1352000 for helping me with this

oh, by the way the BD that I was trying to get working was Terminator 2: Judgement Day

joecrow

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • August 9, 2012
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Here are my findings...

I downloaded Java version jdk-8u161-windows-i586 and what did I see after selecting the menu option from the list? MP started playing the BD menu from the ISO.

Wow, I wish I found this 4 aspirins and 15 hours ago.

There is something weird going on here that maybe deserves investigation:unsure:. I had exactly the same experience, i.e. BD-J did not work with the JRE version of Java but sprang into life as soon as I installed the JDK, even stranger for test purposes I uninstalled and deleted the JDK reinstalled the JRE and it still worked, see here.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    We know. In fact, I created that wiki page. ;)
    [edit: I thought I created that page, but maybe I edited this page:
    Discs & Disc Image Files

Either way, both refer to the JRE.]

The wiki appears to be mistaken or not fully correct when it says:
    Code:
    Install the newest 32 bit (not 64 bit) version of the Oracle Java Runtime Environment (JRE)

As ShadowB123 and joecrow have experienced: the JDK seems to be needed, at least initially.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom