[Solved] Stutter / Dropped frames on SD TV. Stutter disappears on change of aspect ratio. (1 Viewer)

JohnWoo

August 9, 2008
Hi,

I've built a new HTPC. My old one was running Mediaportal 1.4 just fine, but the hardware was too dated to run 1080p video or HDTV.
My new rig consists of an Asrock motherboard, AMD A8-6600K, 4 gigs of ram and Windows 8.1 64bit and Mediaportal 1.6
TV card is the same as in the old system: Terratec cinergy c pci

On the new HTPC i'm having stuttering / dropped frames on SD tv live streams. Watching a HDTV streams work just fine.
If I change the Aspect ratio of the live stream then the stuttering goes away. It does not matter which aspect ratio I choose. If I change channel, then I have to do the same change of ratio, to get rid of the stuttering.

Any ideas on what could cause this? I've been fiddling with options and reading guides all day long, but still no luck on fixing the problem.

Here's an image of the stuttering and an image of the same after change of aspect ratio. Here the ratio actually changes, but it does not matter.

Edit: Here's a link to the images: https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=6A8B82437A956235!4127

Owlsroost

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 28, 2008
    Cambridge
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Do you have the ViewModeSwitcher plugin enabled ?

If you do, then open the settings for it and disable the Black Bar detection - see http://wiki.team-mediaportal.com/1_...ns/ViewModeSwitcher#ViewModeSwitcher_Settings

By default, this is enabled for SD but not for HD. If you force a change of aspect ratio (zoom mode) then it's disabled until the next channel change etc. - which would account for your symptoms.

JohnWoo

August 9, 2008
    That was it! It seemed to be enabled by default. Disabling the Black bar detection instantly fixed the issue.

Thank you very much. I was getting frustrated :)

Owlsroost

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 28, 2008
    Cambridge
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Good :)

I'm quite surprised the Black Bar detection is causing a problem on a fairly powerful CPU + GPU for SD video though....

JohnWoo

August 9, 2008
    Yes, it's strange. I don't know if this feature was in Mediaportal 1.4, but if it was and was enabled by default, my old rig could handle it fine. It was a 6 year old pc, so performance was not the issue.

I tried with and without dxva2 and both had the same issue.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom