Someone please explain DVI to HDMI (1 Viewer)

Msmax

Portal Member
April 19, 2009
Home Country
Netherlands Netherlands
Little confused...

I use an IBM T43 with X300 graphics chip as my mediacenter now.
The T43 is connected via a standard VGA cable to the PC in of my Sony Bravia Full HD TV.

According the manual of the Sony the max supported res is 1360x768. On a higher setting the TV screen is just black. So, I believe them.

I bought a DVI to HDMI cable and thought to get higher resolutions as the TV supports up to 1920x1080 when connected to the docking station.

Too bad for me, according the manual if a PC is connected to the HDMI input the max resolution is 1280x1024.
I can change the T43 output to 1920x1280, but the TV screen stays black again.

My question is:
1. What is the difference between a DVI to HDMI as direct HDMI to HDMI connection?
2. What if my next PC will have a HDMI output, will the resolution still be 1280x1024 max?

Owlsroost

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 28, 2008
    Cambridge
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    My question is:
    1. What is the difference between a DVI to HDMI as direct HDMI to HDMI connection?
    2. What if my next PC will have a HDMI output, will the resolution still be 1280x1024 max?

1. There isn't really any difference electrically - DVI & HDMI use the same signals, just on different connectors. HDMI can have embedded audio (but it's carried on the same wires as the video) and it supports other colour spaces - e.g. YCrCb - as well as the RGB that DVI uses. This is why a simple passive DVI - HDMI adaptor/cable is possible.

What happens is that the PC reads the 'EDID' information from the TV and works out from this what resolutions and refresh rates the TV can support. It combines this with what the PC video hardware can support, and the possible resolutions are offered as choices in the Display Properties control panel.

2. As above, this depends on what is supported by both ends of the HDMI link....

What display choices is the Display Properties control panel or ATi CCC offering ?

Also, a quote from the Lenovo T43 support pages :

"* Support for a DVI monitor is through the ThinkPad Dock II option and is limited to a resolution of 1280 x 1024 at 60 Hz."

....so you are probably out of luck with getting 1360x768 on DVI

Tony

Msmax

Portal Member
    April 19, 2009
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Thanks for your fast reply and clear explanation Tony.

The ATI panels shows that a Sony is connected and resolutions up to 1920x1080.

I think that de T43 does not output anything then on the DVI when a higher res is selected.
    That makes clear why the screen stays black, however the X300 chip can output 1920x1080???

So, for now I'm happy with the VGA cable...

Regards, Msmax

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom