Song ratings, and having them influence random play? (1 Viewer)

staverton

January 26, 2005
London, UK
Hi all, I just want to ask a few questions on the viability of adding features, or ask as to whether they already exist in another form.

I'm currenly looking at being able to rate songs then having them play randomly but with a better chance of them being picked based on their rating.

On popping open the MP music database I can see there is an iRating field in the Song table. Is this ever used, (within MP)? I realise it's an ID3v2 tag entry, but this is just populated from the MP3s right? There is nothing to stop me from making a plugin that wrote this field (and probably the corresponding tag in the MP3 too), based on user input, and so when I start a random play of my songs, the 'better'' ones play more regularly.

So, do any other MP plugins, or build in functionality provide this, and can anyone point out anything I might need to be aware of before I attempt to write this?

Thanks! :D

staverton

January 26, 2005
London, UK
Well at least that's a a start. From what I've deduced from the plugin apis I have 3 options:

1: Make a seperate gui plugin that played music with a randomise option, (and the ability to rate tracks). This would be poor as you'd want to maintain it alongside the main My Music plugin.

2: Make a process plugin that affected the way the music plugin worked, ie - played random tracks from the playlist based on rating, but I wouldn't be able to add a 'Randomise' button to the interface, and turning it on and off would be a pain.

3: Write a patch for the existing My Music plugin, so that the functionality would integrated and the feature could be easily switched off at will.

Another thought occured to me also, that instead of having to rate a song, you could influence the randomisation based on the number of times the track has been played, maybe with a bias on how recently the song was played so you didnt keep propagaing songs that were your favourite thing 3 months ago.

Users who are viewing this thread

Similar threads

Updated with the guide to install an Intel HDMI audio Device that can stream 192kHz/24bit. If you have any question, feel free to reply here.
Updated with the guide to install an Intel HDMI audio Device that can stream 192kHz/24bit. If you have any question, feel free to...
I switched to MePo 2 with the release of MePo 2.1.1, and in the last months I focused on learning the program and fine tuning it...
Replies
Views
Historical reasons, so that if you update to a new version and it fails, you can go back to old one. As to why it keeps more than just the "previous" one, that I don't know. Probably made sense when it was designed (y)
Historical reasons, so that if you update to a new version and it fails, you can go back to old one. As to why it keeps more than...
The IMDb+ scraper-script and plugin combination for Moving-Pictures is the first scraper to support custom options, allowing you to...
Replies
Views
Not that I know of...
Not that I know of...
GitHub repository | Wiki | Skinning Guide | Available Sites | German Thread History I restarted development on the OnlineVideos...
Replies
Views
It's soooo true :D I have so many bug reports mostly about swagger and actual code mismatch. I've autogenerated my C# code with swagger and only half of methods worked from the box. The biggest problem for me are nullable types in C#. Integer in C# couldn't be null but no integer was tagged as nullable in swagger but several ones...
It's soooo true :D I have so many bug reports mostly about swagger and actual code mismatch. I've autogenerated my C# code with...
MP-TVSeries focuses on managing the user's TV Series library with minimal user interaction, allowing for a more user friendly and...
Replies
Views
Thread moved to public forum. Please note that the status of this thread is "Not open for further replies", which actually means team-members and plugin devs can reply, but others can not, hence it is "read only".
Thread moved to public forum. Please note that the status of this thread is "Not open for further replies", which actually means...
Dear community, I started this thread some time ago in the internal team forums, but we think it is time to share it with you. It...
Replies
Views
Top Bottom