Sort list (1 Viewer)

frying_fish

Portal Member
August 21, 2008
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Is it possible to tell moving pictures to sort the list alphabetically, as currently it appears to just be displaying them in the order it found. It would be nice to either have it do it automatically or the option for me to do it manually.

Other than that I have to say, this plugin is coming on very well thanks very much for the work so far.

[Edit]

Seems I've just misread how its doing the sorting. Its doing it base on titles that are Xyz, The, that is what was causing confusion for me, so I guess I'll just live with it how it is, since that is technically the correct way to go through it.

Darre

Portal Pro
April 21, 2007
Home Country
Norway Norway
I think you can change it in the settings part of the plugin, so that all the "the ..." get filed under "t", but I don't get why anyone would want that :)

frying_fish

Portal Member
August 21, 2008
Home Country
I would want it like that, because the way it normally lays out, with the title as:

Blade
The Bourne Identity
Hero
FOOBAR

doesn't look very good, as throughout the list you have the spattering of films starting with The, fair enough if it was to list it in the main menu as:

Blade
Bourne Identity, The
Hero
FOOBAR

but thats not how it does it, so it looks messy in my opinion.

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    Hi

I actually like it, because when just viewing The "list" you forget what you are even looking for, where i can now say Bourne Ultimatum is in my little B list, instead of huge T.

Everyone has a opinion :)

Darre

Portal Pro
    April 21, 2007
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    I would want it like that, because the way it normally lays out, with the title as:

Blade
    The Bourne Identity
    Hero
    FOOBAR

doesn't look very good, as throughout the list you have the spattering of films starting with The, fair enough if it was to list it in the main menu as:

Blade
    Bourne Identity, The
    Hero
    FOOBAR

but thats not how it does it, so it looks messy in my opinion.

Where you edit your movie info in the plugin, you can change both the "display name" and "sort name" for each movie, so you can have it any way you want. :)

fforde

Community Plugin Dev
    June 7, 2007
    Texas
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    Darre is right, you can manually modify the sort name for a movie in the Movie Manager. As of right now that is pretty much your only recourse. I will add the ability to turn off the Sort Name logic though, new issue for it here. It will probably not happen until 0.6 though.

frying_fish

Portal Member
    August 21, 2008
    Home Country
    Thats fair enough, and I don't mind doing it manually at the moment, since I've only added the one directory currently so there isn't too many films to sort through. I was purely thinking of it as an Aesthetic thing. I don't mind if it organises by title ignoring the, so long as if displayed it puts the "the" at the end, to keep it looking nice.

fforde

Community Plugin Dev
    June 7, 2007
    Texas
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    I see, makes sense. Gonna past your comments in the issue so when it gets worked on we will consider that.

Boiler

Portal Pro
    July 29, 2007
    Home Country
    Switzerland Switzerland
    Thats fair enough, and I don't mind doing it manually at the moment, since I've only added the one directory currently so there isn't too many films to sort through. I was purely thinking of it as an Aesthetic thing. I don't mind if it organises by title ignoring the, so long as if displayed it puts the "the" at the end, to keep it looking nice.

i agree with this as well, it would be nice if the list would be like that. same goes for 'a' and 'an', it just looks better.

also, i was wondering if there could be an option that let one use the filenames as sort order. additionally, it would be nice if one could sort the movies according to a specific title, that is, for instance, the translated title. I much rather have 'Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon' displayed as such and not the Mandarin title :)

emphatic

Design Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • August 25, 2006
    Alingsås
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    Boiler: I've changed all my non-english titles to their international titles. Just makes more sense to me. You can do it manually, both for display name and "sort by" name.

Emph

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom