Sort pictures based on EXIF date (1 Viewer)

paalkr

Portal Pro
June 30, 2008
Home Country
Norway Norway
Hi!

I would love to have the opportunity to sort pictures based on the EXIF picture taken information. In a lot of situation this is the only place to obtain the correct acquisition date. The file system date (which is the only date sort option atm) changes every time the picture is edited, and is therefor not suited for sorting.

I really hop that there isn't a featurefreez on the 1.0.1 version yet, and that this request could be taken into consideration.

Regards,
PK

Guzzi

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 20, 2007
    Hi!

I would love to have the opportunity to sort pictures based on the EXIF picture taken information. In a lot of situation this is the only place to obtain the correct acquisition date. The file system date (which is the only date sort option atm) changes every time the picture is edited, and is therefor not suited for sorting.

I really hop that there isn't a featurefreez on the 1.0.1 version yet, and that this request could be taken into consideration.

Regards,
    PK

May I extend this proposal to some sort of "infograbber" (similar to the tagreader in the music section) supporting the writing of the properties (including exif data) into the pictures database - this should also include fields for genre, freetextwords ("kids", holidays", etc.) and e.g. GPS data. This data ould then be used for search function plus different views - similar to the music section.
    regards, Guzzi

rekenaar

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 17, 2006
    Home Country
    South Africa South Africa
    The exif date option is already available.

• Pictures
    • Switch View
    • Date

There are also another thread with other requests regarding pictures.

Guzzi

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 20, 2007

• Pictures
    • Switch View
    • Date

I had read this thread, - yes, there is a "switch view" function, but it is very rudimentary - at least some sort of working with tag information would be a great improvement. Currently I only use the folder view and use "speaking descriptions" for the folders - which is a minimalistic approach. supporting a database with tag information plus a search and switching words to tag keywords would greatly improve the pictures section...

paalkr

Portal Pro
    June 30, 2008
    Home Country
    Norway Norway

• Pictures
    • Switch View
    • Date

Hi!

I'm aware of that functionality, but are you 100% sure that this read the picture taken date, and not any other like last edited for example? I have tried to use the method that you describe, and it does not look like picture taken date to me (I may be wrong of course).

Anyway, happy new year!

Regards,
    PK

rekenaar

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 17, 2006
    Home Country
    I tested it before my first reply.
    Took a 2004 picture, make a copy, edit, save, verify in explorer that date is 2008 and exif picture taken is still 2004. Start MP, swith view, saw new copy of icture under 2004.

Happy there too :D

paalkr

Portal Pro
    June 30, 2008
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    Hi!

I've tested the functionality provided by the switch view | Date, and I like it. But it's not what I had inn mind when I started this thread. What I would like is that the sort by date in the List View uses the EXIF picture taken information to sort.

An other thing I'd like to see is a random slide show functionality (or maybe it's there already), that worked across different folders (which of course should be configurable), and subfolders should be included. I guess that this would be more like an inbuilt screensaver. The slide show should be possible to start manually (by remote) or assign as a full screen music visualization, that automatically starts after music has played x minutes.

Regards,
    PK

rekenaar

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 17, 2006
    Home Country
    You have a few nice ideas, I agree.

I can share a few workarounds for some of your suggestins in the mean time.

Slideshow random option is available in tettings.

In Pictures, you will see 2 buttons to start slideshow.
    1. Slideshow - will start a slideshow of the current folder.
    2. R.Slideshow - will start a recursive slideshow. Meaning curent folder and all sub folders.

If you put a music playlist in a picture folder, and name it folder.m3u, it will start play as soon as you start slideshow.

I know it is not exactly what you are suggesting, but it is usable while we wait for something else.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom