geov

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 1, 2006
    Cape Town
    Home Country
    South Africa South Africa
    Hi All

I hope you can help me, I have set-up a MediaPortal HTPC for my dad just before leaving South Africa to go and work in New Zealand for a few years. The problem that my dad is now experiencing is that with the DSTV-site changing their site the XMLTV-files that I was sourcing for my dad stopped working. Now for my question...where are you all sourcing your EPG data from?

Your help is greatly appreciated....my dad who is 85 is very unhappy that he cant schedule and record his TV-shows :D

rekenaar

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 17, 2006
    Home Country
    I am downloading it with xmltv.org
    I like the ability to specify how many days to grap (currently grabbing 30).

Two batch files:
    Every once in a while I run the CONFIG.CMD file to ensure that I have all channels. This is where you are prompted for the channels and number of days.
    xmltv.exe tv_grab_za --configure
    pause

The once a week I run the GRAB.CMD file to get the data.
    xmltv.exe tv_grab_za --days 30 --output tvguide.xml
    Also include the command to move file to correct directory.

tangmonster

Portal Pro
    February 1, 2007
    cape town
    Home Country
    don't wanna steal the thread.

Can you explain how you set your htpc up to record whatch dstv?
    What tv card dit you use?

thanks guys.

Is it going to be worthwhile for me to buy a hauppauge pvr 150 if analogue transmission is going to stop anyway?

rekenaar

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 17, 2006
    Home Country
    I have a PVR150 and use RCA cables to connect with DSTV decoder.
    Channel numbers in TVServer are created according to the DSTV decoder channel numbers but the INPUT field in TVServer is not tuner but rather RCA (can't remember the exact wording now).

Also using MCE Remote & Receiver with blaster component. Blaster component is then fixed against the DSTV decoder.
    Then IR Server Suite will blast the required channel numbers to DSTV decoder when recording starts.

If my analogue card breaks today, I will definitely replace it. Can't wait for digital signal to catch up. My household cannot function without mediaportal.

geov

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 1, 2006
    Cape Town
    Home Country
    Thanks for the help guys.....I went the fast route for now and used the file provided by "Robert Botha"..

boozelclark

Portal Pro
    March 26, 2007
    Johannesburg/Cape Town
    Home Country
    Hi. I'm looking to get a new tv card. i was thinking of getting the pvr-150 to plug my dstv decoder into but now that dvb-t is coming i was wondering if i should get a hybrid. and sugestions or advice would be great thanks in advance.

McChots

Portal Pro
    August 2, 2006
    Johannesburg
    Home Country
    If you're going to hook it up to DSTV, the 150 is fine. Digital TV is still 2 years away and the it will still be the same 4 channels and maybe a few community broadcasts anyway.

geov

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 1, 2006
    Cape Town
    Home Country
    I agree, even if you do buy a hybrid you will only be able to use it for SABC's broadcasts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom