Completed Spare parts + Free time (1 Viewer)

JayPo

Portal Member
December 9, 2007
Home Country
Canada Canada
First of all I'd like to thank the MediaPortal developers for putting together such a wicked program. I fought for years with MythTV and a few other Linux biggies, but it's nice to have the reliability of Windows TV out coupled with something that just works, especially on this old beast:

Pentium III 650MHz with 448mb RAM
20gb drive for Windows and MediaPortal, video and music directories are shares off my main PC
128mb ATI Radeon 9250 running s-video to my TV
Soundblaster Live! running SPDIF into my receiver
Old Packard Bell serial IR remote working via the Winlirc receiver plugin

I can finally say goodbye to the ever growing stack of DVDs in front of my TV and never have to hunt for discs again.
Next I think I'll try my hand at some emulators because a Genesis with a 32x and SegaCD means finding places for 3 massive wallwarts.

Gixxer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 18, 2007
    Spain
    Home Country
    Spain Spain
    did you get that pc to work with mp?

im planning on putting a AMD 1400 and was not sure how it would handle it.

do u have any tv tuner working? or just mp3 and divx playing?

btw, welcome to the forum.

Marcusb

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 16, 2005
    Melbourne
    with the gfx card that you have, you may need to make sure you use a "light" skin, such as "PureVision" since any of the more gfx intensive skins may be too much for that card.
    Technically it isn't a hardware DX9 card, so the CPU will have to do more work.

If it's working now, then congratulations, but if you think it's a bit sluggish, then by all means check the skin I mentioned above.

Welcome from me too :)

JayPo

Portal Member
    December 9, 2007
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    Thanks Everyone :)

Gixxer: I mostly use it for playing Xvids and MP3s. I have an old Pixelview PlayTV Pro (BT878-based board), but I haven't played with it too much yet, I seem to remember it has bad drivers that lock up whatever machine tries to use them.

Marcusb: I'm using the default BlueTwo skin (I actually kind of like it) and I have yet to see the interface chug. This machine seems to refuse to admit it's slow, I've had it run Apple Shake and 3d Studio Max within the last year and they were surprisingly usable. I plan on using it into the ground then replace it with more spare parts as I come across them :)

Gixxer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 18, 2007
    Spain
    Home Country
    Spain Spain
    Gixxer: I mostly use it for playing Xvids and MP3s. I have an old Pixelview PlayTV Pro (BT878-based board), but I haven't played with it too much yet, I seem to remember it has bad drivers that lock up whatever machine tries to use them.

Marcusb: I'm using the default BlueTwo skin (I actually kind of like it) and I have yet to see the interface chug. This machine seems to refuse to admit it's slow, I've had it run Apple Shake and 3d Studio Max within the last year and they were surprisingly usable. I plan on using it into the ground then replace it with more spare parts as I come across them :)

those are good news then !! i am now only wondering if my graphic will be able to run mp as when i tried mce it said that my graphic card was not supported. its an ati 7200 or something like that. 6 years old so cant ask much to it. althoug it does have 2 vga and svideo which was good at that moment.

oh well, in one week ill be back home and able to try it and start playing around. but you information about your computer working is good. at least i can start with movies and mp3s as see where i get to (internal thinking...NEW HTPC hahaha):D

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom