SPDIF Volume Control? (1 Viewer)

sleepycol

Portal Pro
June 2, 2006
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
I don't understand why you guys want this feature? The WHOLE point is that your adjust the volume on your AV amp/receiver, the same place where your audio should be decoded...

Its so that you can use the same remote (the pc one) to adjust the volume.....

kiwijunglist

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2008
    New Zealand
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Several reasons

1. Able to control volume using PC remote
    2. OSD of volume level
    3. Dynamic volume control on the basis of tv channel (MP has feature of different volume/channel)

1gkar

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 1, 2007
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    I don't understand why you guys want this feature? The WHOLE point is that your adjust the volume on your AV amp/receiver, the same place where your audio should be decoded...

The main reason I require it is the broadcasters in New Zealand are abysmal at working together. TV3 (digital on NZ Freeview) will have an effective audio volume of some 25% softer than PrimeTV, an analogue station & the MPA boost slider, in the AAC codec, goes nowhere near enough to compensating! And the volume separation is getting bigger over time.

Not fun when changing from a TV3 record to a PRIME ONE LATE AT NIGHT.

2BitSculptor

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • January 23, 2008
    South Central Wisconsin
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America

I also have issues with SP/DIF.....

why one would want control on the front end, before it goes to the surround receiver, would be to have control over volume on a per channel basis. and to make sure that volume on videos, TV and Music sources are equalized. So when you change the source, or channel, it doesn't require readjusting your surround receiver before the pictures fall off their wall hangings (or more important, wake the sleeping neighbors).

Technology is fun..... (keep repeating)

best regard,

Chuck

WOW so many responded at once.... :)

kiwijunglist

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2008
    New Zealand
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    you can have this feature already. you can control volume as long as the signal is not passed directly to the receiver, ie it has to be re-encoded.
    set ac3filter to do gain control and normalisation and make it re-encode all audio streams
    use the MP volume plugin to set relative volume levels between different channels

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom