h.264 Video Codec:
Satelite/CableTV Provider: Time Warner
HTPC Case: Dell Optiplex 620
Cooling:
Power Supply:
Remote: Mediagate GP-IR02BK
TV: Vizio
TV - HTPC Connection: DVI

Long story short I am running Media-Portal and XBMC, I attempted to create a database for my media and my xbmc hubs on my Media-Portal rig and failed. I was able to create a DB on the machine where my media is stored. However now Media-Portal is quirky, I thought I had my Media-Portal pointed to the SQL server but that does not appear to be the case. Is it possible for me to have the databases need for Media-portal accessed remotely? As it stands right now I cannot get the TV Server up and running it errors off with a 1068 error and Mysql501 gives error 1067, SQL gives error 2. Thanks for any help you can provide, if more information is needed it will be provided.

Just looked at sql server, and I am seeing MPTVDB listed. Still kind of at a loss though.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hi again HudsonHawk04

I may not have understood what you want to do correctly, so please ignore me in advance if none of this makes sense. ;)

1. Your TV Server has been using the following DB setting: Server=Bob-PC;Database=MpTvDb;User ID=root;.

2. Yes, you should be able to configure TV Server with a DB on a remote machine, although I'd imagine most users would probably host the DB on the same machine. You'd just have to configure the DB parameters correctly when you first install TV Server, ensuring that:

- there are no firewalls blocking TV Server's outbound access to the network
    - there are no firewalls blocking TV Server's inbound access to the DB host machine SQL Server port
    - you give the remote access privileges on the intended TV Server DB/schema to the SQL Server account that TV Server is to use (this is a MySQL concept, but I'm pretty sure it would apply to SQL Server too)

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    If I did a clean install on the dedicated mediaportal machine and left the xbmc database alone on a separate machine, would that solve my problem?
    Probably, but seems a bit heavy handed. I'm still not sure that I understand what you're trying to do. I think you're saying that you wanted to set up an XBMC database within the same SQL server that was hosting your MediaPortal database - is that correct? From what I saw in your logs you were using SQL Server for your TV Server DB. Where does MySQL come into this (you mentioned the MySQL error)?

FYI, if you interpret the error codes as SQL Server errors:
    - error 1067 is a general error meaning that a service has failed to start
    - error 2 is a connection failure type error

Have you looked at the system event log to see the full error?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom