Sql Server 2008 Authentication mode issue (1 Viewer)

incogito

Portal Member
April 17, 2009
Home Country
France France
TV-Server Version: 1.0.2
MediaPortal Version: 1.01
MediaPortal Skin: default
Windows Version: Xp-Pro-Sp3
CPU Type: Intel core-duo
Memory: 2go
Motherboard: Gigabyte P35
Video Card: Msi Ati 2600 Pcie
Video Card Driver: 9.x
Sound Card: Realtek Alc889a
1. TV Card: Leadtek WinFast PxDVR3200 H
1. TV Card Type: Dvb-T + Analog Radio
1. TV Card Driver: Bda 2.xxx
MPEG2 Video Codec: Arcosft + multiple
h.264 Video Codec: Arcosft + Coreavc +multiple
Satelite/CableTV Provider: Free (freebox + multiposte)
Remote: Ati remote wonder 1

I had a 1.01 one-seat Tvserver installed with Mysql (working from few months without any install or usage issue)
I choosed to start from scratch removing and erasing all the MP data & configs ..
And also planed to install MP 1.02 on Ms Sql Server 2008 Express sp1 already installed with visual studio etc ..

and It's a mess !!!!
SqlServer is not in "mixed mode" but in "windows Authentication integrated mode"
Ok, i've read that mixed mode is required with SqlServerExpress 2005
TV-Server/install-SQL-Server - MediaPortal Manual Documentation

1st try- Install with "advanced option" and already installed database option
When starting TvServer config, ask for user/pass with "sa" user
I can't as i'm not in "mixed mode" - "sa" will be deprecated in next releases and "sysadmin" is recommended - but can't use it
What is the solution with MP 1.02?? I looked for on Wiki and Forum, but didn't find

2nd try - using automatic install (risky isn't it)
MP start to download SqlExpress 2005 - then try to uninstall Sql Server 2008 - i let MP proceeding as i thought maybe will be possible after to configure Mp and upgrade to 2008...
But in fact, MP unsuccessfully finish the uninstall of 2008 and unsuccessfully install 2005, probably because there is a conflict between 2005 & 2008 - as a consequence MP Install the Client but don't install the Tv Server programm

Here, where i am ...
If anybody had some trick and tips about that, in advance, thanks for

But, for now, i decided to change the "Server Authentication" setting

How to Change the Sql Server Authentication Mode ...
Very easy process with "Microsoft Sql Server Management Studio"
Download details: Microsoft SQL Server 2008 Management Studio Express

Step 1 - Reconfigure mode ....
-> Launch "Microsoft Sql Server Management Studio" Program
-> Loginto with your credentials, -> Right-click on the Top Tree instance Server (if you have more than one instance of sqlserver, there is more than one tree) -> Choose Properties -> On the popup window "Server Properties" choose "Security" -> In the "Server Authentication" Zone, choose the "Sql Server and Windows Auth....", this is the mixed mode
-> Restart the SqlServer (administration services - SQLEXPRESS)

Step 2 - Activate "sa" user or create one ..
-> Launch "Microsoft Sql Server Management Studio" Program
-> login with your credentials,
-> Go into the tree '/your.SqlServername'/Security/Logins/sa -> Right-Click on "sa" login -> Choose Properties
1) 'General' Tab - Set the password you choose - It will be the one the MP Install require
2) You can check "enforce pass policy"
3) If you choose "enforce pass expiration" you will be asked to change it at the expiration date
3) 'Status' Tab - verify and check "Login= enabled"
If you decide to create an account - be careful to select the adequate "server roles" and "user mapping"

Step 3 - Install MP Tv Server
GeneralUserGuides/Installation_SingleSeat_TvServer - MediaPortal Manual Documentation
-> Selecting Perform an Advanced Installation
-> Select "SQL Server is already present ...."
When you will start "TV Server Configuration" for the first time, it will display a windows to test the connection to SqlServer/Mysql, display the 'sa' user default login and ask you to set the password (the one from the last step)
-> Clic test - if success - click 'save' and the install process will continue

Trick for memory
Be careful because Sql Server is really hungry for memory - For the diet,
-> Launch "Microsoft Sql Server Management Studio" program
-> login with your credentials,
-> Right-Click into the tree '/your.SqlServername'/
-> Choose Properties
-> Select "Memory" Page
-> Adjust "Maximum server memory" (Awe is for 64bit)

Ok, i wrote that in the time i try this process on my installation and it works ..
all others posts are welcome ...

neo2001

Portal Member
December 26, 2008
Home Country
Germany Germany
When starting TvServer config, ask for user/pass with "sa" user
I can't as i'm not in "mixed mode" - "sa" will be deprecated in next releases and "sysadmin" is recommended - but can't use it
What is the solution with MP 1.02?? I looked for on Wiki and Forum, but didn't find
Do you mean deprecated in MP oder SQL Server?
To be honest I don't understand what exactly your problem/question is? :)

MP needs SQL Server authentication - and as far as I know there is no way to change that. I suppose it's easier for most people to set up and easier when switching from/to MySQL (which has no build in Windows authentication).

SQL Server authentication is switched off per default in SQL Server 2005/2008- so you need to turn it on (like you did) after setup or during setup of SQL Server 2005/2008.
I never tried the automatic setup of SQL Server 2005 by the MP Installer - so I can only assume, that SQL Server auth is enabled automatically during the installation process.

incogito

Portal Member
April 17, 2009
Home Country
France France
"sysadmin" appears on sql server 2008 with same rights than sa
Referencing to some sources, 'sa' will be removed in next version
SQL SERVER – 2008 – User Account – sa or sysadmin Journey to SQL Authority with Pinal Dave
the two "authentication mode" will no changed, it's just an reorganization of group/user

The reason i post here, was
1) verifying that "mixed mode" is absolutely necessary - answer = Yes
2) Report the MP installation trying to un-install Sql Server 2008 and downloading & installing SqlServer Express 2005 without success for both
3) as i didn't find anywhere in MediaPortal Domain an explanation of the "how to" for people with my configuration, i decided to share and explain the procedure to swap the Authentication Mode with Sql Server 2008 (different from the 2005 one procedure)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom