Standard GUI properies for Plugin Developers (1 Viewer)

Dadeo

Docs Group Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 26, 2006
    Himalayas, India
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    In MovingPictures - No Itemcount Pilehave has raised the very important point that #itemcount is not supported. I have found this is true in many community plugins and suggested there could be some standard kit of GUI properties that should always be supported in plugins.

Would this be helpful to Plugin Developers?

If so, how do we proceed? One way is to have skinners list in this thread the properties they think should always be supported. I don't think it is fair to expect the MP Developers to know what properties we want/need.

Pilehave has also suggested the "write your own plugin" tutorial in the Wiki could be improved. An excellent suggestion, but who is going to do this? To be honest I think that some skinners probably know as much or more about the skin engine as a lot of developers at this point. If you haven't skinned you cannot write good user documentation on skinning. But even skinners have trouble knowing everything about the skin engine or how properties work in various cases. Hence the problem in the WIKI.

I have always thought that plugin developers should work with skinners when developing new plugins. Wherever this has happened I think the results have been good. But it is not practical. I see Plugin Developers asking for help from skinners, but no response - because most skinners can barely manage as it is :)

So my temporary suggestion is let's give Plugin Developers some tips here to start, and see if we cannot come up with a list of standard GUI Properties that should be supported in any plugin.

Then we can use that to update the WIKI. Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Pilehave has started us off with
    1.#itemcount
    2.#selecteditem
    3.#selectedthumb

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom