Standby/Resume question... (1 Viewer)

vvulture

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 3, 2006
    Sydney
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    I am wondering if anyone here has a Multiseat setup where thay have the server go into standby when not being used ?

If so, have you any problems ?

Whenever i wake up the server, it will not " serve " any of the clients anymore. Any client that tries to connect to the server ( after the server has resumed ) will freeze up.

The only fix i have found is to restart both the server and client..

As it stands, i cannot use standby on the server at all... 100% fail everytime it resumes..

I have submited a bug report, but as yet i have no idea if it has been looked at.

I have also tried many different SVN's, but all of them suffer from the same problem.

cheers

daan640

Portal Member
    December 1, 2006
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Because of other problems I decided to go back to a single seat configuration. But in those days that I had a multi seat configuration I have seen this problem as well. I can try it again if you like with a newer SVN. In the single seat configuration I have stand-by problems as well. After resuming the server can't setup my DVB-T stick and I get this "no audio/video detected" message. For this reason I went back to the classic MP without TV-engine.

vvulture

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 3, 2006
    Sydney
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    Because of other problems I decided to go back to a single seat configuration. But in those days that I had a multi seat configuration I have seen this problem as well. I can try it again if you like with a newer SVN. In the single seat configuration I have stand-by problems as well. After resuming the server can't setup my DVB-T stick and I get this "no audio/video detected" message. For this reason I went back to the classic MP without TV-engine.

Right i see....

I would've thought that a function like Standby would be something that was problem free since it has been around since the stone age of computers...

I would also think that it would be on a high priority list to have it working properly ...

But seeing the response i have had on this thread ( or lack of ), i can see that i am way off the mark.

thanks

fab70

Portal Member
    February 11, 2007
    Home Country
    Italy Italy
    Hi vuulture,
    the procedure in the above reported forum is too complex.
    The powerscheduler of the tv server is very good and can stand by the pc after the specified ilde time (all the servers should be inactive).
    The real problem is to wake up server.
    I currently wake uo server with a bat file and after 1 min circa i open the mp client.
    Fr the time being this is the only solution.

Ciao

petsa

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 23, 2007
    Stockholm
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    Hello everyone!

I got similar issues as well after standby. I use single-seat and I found out that if I restart the TVservice the problem usually goes away.

fab70: I would be interested to hear in more detail the steps and scripts you use to wake up the server.

/Peter

I forgot...

There is an "Reinitialize service" checkbox in the PowerScheduler plugin options. Has anyone tried this as a way to workaround the problem? I guess that's what I am effectively is ding when I restart the TVServer.

/Peter

petsa

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 23, 2007
    Stockholm
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    Hi again,

Yesterday I had the issue again with the erver and client not communicating after resuming from stand-by. I tried to grab the log-files to see what may cause this, attached.

For me (single seat etc) there is a stack-trace at the time for the first communication after resume. See error-log nd MediaPortal.log.

Are you seeing the same? The symtoms in MP was very slow response and finally the error message that no service available and the option to select another server to connect to.

The solution for me was to restart the TVService and then start MP again.

/Peter

BTW. MPTestTool was of great help to make sure all necessary files were grabbed!

vvulture

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 3, 2006
    Sydney
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    Hey Petsa..

I still have the same problem.

The server is ok IF it is woken up by PowerScheduler because it re-initialises the TvService when it wakes up.
    However, if the server is woken up any other way, the service is NOT re-initialised and THAT is what causes the problem.

I thought about using a script that re-initialises the TvService whenever the server wakes up ( regardless of how it is woken up ), but i don't have the skills to do this..

cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom