[confirm] Starting TV causes MP to hang up after resuming from standby (1 Viewer)

MrCrabs

Portal Pro
January 21, 2010
Braunschweig
Home Country
Germany Germany
MediaPortal Version: 1.1 RC1
MediaPortal Skin: B3W
Windows Version: Win XP SP3
CPU Type: AMD Athlon II X2 250
HDD: 2 Samsungs, total 1.680GB
Memory: 2 GB DDR2
Motherboard: Asus M4A785G HTPC
Video Card: Ati HD 4200 onboard
Video Card Driver: Catalyst 09.12
Sound Card: Via HD somewhat onboard 9.1
Sound Card AC3: Via HD somewhat onboard 9.1
Sound Card Driver: Via HD somewhat onboard 9.1
1. TV Card: Hauppauge WinTv Nova-T
1. TV Card Type: DVB-T
1. TV Card Driver: 2.105.23074.0
MPEG2 Video Codec: using SAF
MPEG2 Audio Codec: using SAF
h.264 Video Codec: using SAF
HTPC Case: custom
Power Supply: BeQuiet StraightPower 480W CM
Remote: Hauppauge
TV: Samsung LED-TV 32"
TV - HTPC Connection: HDMI

Hello there,

I got a pretty annoying issue. Once my system went to standby and comes up again, afterwards I can't watch TV. MP even hangs up completely with a CPU usage of about 50%. I can't navigate at all and have to use Windows Task-Manager to stop MP. Only a complete restart of the system will get rid of that issue. So just restarting MP does nothing, same with TVService. It even occurse if I go to standby via Windows.
See attached logs I made with Debug-Mode, I hope that will help.

So here is everything in single steps:
1. Starting system and MP --> TV is working normally
2. Go to standby
3. Wake up --> TV is no longer working, MP hangs up on starting TV

Thank you, MrCrabs

MrCrabs

Portal Pro
January 21, 2010
Braunschweig
Home Country
Germany Germany
Did anybody post that issue so far, I tried to find some related problem but didn't find it since a search for tv and standby told me that these words are used far to often to get useful results. Any other search parameters did not deliver a solution.

nfox

Portal Pro
August 22, 2006
London
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
You could check out this post, which has links to other similar posts:

https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/general-support-51/tv-service-doesnt-respond-after-second-resume-s3-because-powerscheduler-77268/

Some people have found solutions, others haven't, but there seems to be more and more instances of this sort of problem occurring.

I have had this problem since before MP 1.0, and as you can see my post didn't get a response.

MP Standby Handler does help by allowing a restart of the TVService on resume from standby, although it isn't perfect. If you do find a solution please post the details.

Best of luck

Neil

thesystemera

Portal Pro
May 26, 2008
Auckland
Home Country
New Zealand New Zealand
This is an ATI driver issue... Catalyst 9.6 works fine and also the latest catalyst has fixed the problem. That and you need to disable your tvservice when entering standby and then re-enable tvservice about 15 seconds after standby... The latest MP has a feature in TVServer that allows you to add a delayed response to the initialization of the TVService for this specific problem. Basically it's a WinTV Nova T 500 issue...

If you need more help I have a vbscript that I have written to resolve this issue.

MrCrabs

Portal Pro
January 21, 2010
Braunschweig
Home Country
Germany Germany
Well I got catalyst 9.12 so that can't be the problem. I tried out the delay to re-enable tvservice but still no success. Weird is, that I need to completely reboot the system to get working again at all. All restarting MP and tvservice will not do anything.
And I also figured out that I got that freezing after second reboot problem (sometimes even the first one) in some way. The system seems to hang before it intiates the graphicscard, TV is saying, that it has no signal and nothing happens for a very long time (didn't sit it out yet, maybe it will recover after 5 minutes).

MrCrabs

Portal Pro
January 21, 2010
Braunschweig
Home Country
Germany Germany
Alright, I installed the newest ati driver --> no result.
I downloaded that new core.dll --> no result.
I tried the tricks told by thesystemera --> no result.

As I can remember I had this problem since MP 1.1 Beta (that's when I came to MP) but before it didn't bother me (I had more bothering problems).
Did any of the devs have a look at my log files? Is this a bug or not? Who else is having similar problems?

MrCrabs

Portal Pro
January 21, 2010
Braunschweig
Home Country
Germany Germany
I guess all those problems seem to appear on systems using ati graphics cards. My problem especially appers on system unsing a Nova-T tv card and an ati card.
But that's just guessing. I am still waiting for an developer to have a look at this.

vvulture

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 3, 2006
    Sydney
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    I guess all those problems seem to appear on systems using ati graphics cards. My problem especially appers on system unsing a Nova-T tv card and an ati card.
    But that's just guessing. I am still waiting for an developer to have a look at this.

I will agree with the Nova-T part, but not the ATi one... I am having issues on my server only which does not have a graphics card installed ( headless ) but has 2 x Nova-T 500MCE cards.

In saying that tho, the problems were not there with 1.1.0 Alpha... They only started with RC1 ( I skipped Beta, so i cannot comment there ).

Cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom