Statical electricity, stay away! (1 Viewer)

runarius

Portal Pro
February 1, 2007
Home Country
Norway Norway
I recentcly built my own htpc of an antec fusion v2 which kinda gives me a hard-time. Almost every time I touch it I get a small shock(just statical) but the problem is that the computer reboots becouse of this, which is really annoying. I don't have any grounding in my house, so I am wondering if it is possible to get the statical electricity away?

mba

Portal Pro
September 16, 2005
Aarhus
Home Country
Denmark Denmark
don't know if its static electricity, but it could also originate from the noisefilter of your powersupply.
Don't know about the rules in either Norway or the Netherlands, but I think here in Denmark its illegal to ground stuff to your radiator, could kill your neigbours if the central heating doesn't have sufficient grounding and your pc malfunctions and delivers 230V directly to the radiator.
What about hammering a 2m long copper pipe into the ground outside your house and connect your pc's grund to that?

runarius

Portal Pro
February 1, 2007
Home Country
Norway Norway
well, that is way too much trouble, I doubt my landlord will give me permission. Wish there was some kind of box I could connect to it which emulated grounding or something.

Dubyahjay

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 1, 2007
    Atlanta
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    I am not very familiar with international house wiring practices, but you do not have a common earth ground? What a dangerous proposition...

runarius

Portal Pro
    February 1, 2007
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    Yeah, I think it's really odd that it isn't grounded. In norway, the standard has been for many years to ground everything, and our house is not that old at all, 11 years so, it should be.

anybody who wants to invent wireless grounding? ;P

Dubyahjay

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 1, 2007
    Atlanta
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    Yeah, I think it's really odd that it isn't grounded. In norway, the standard has been for many years to ground everything, and our house is not that old at all, 11 years so, it should be.

anybody who wants to invent wireless grounding? ;P

Its already been discovered!

Lightning!!!

:D

ronilse

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 19, 2005
    Moss
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    I recentcly built my own htpc of an antec fusion v2 which kinda gives me a hard-time. Almost every time I touch it I get a small shock(just statical) but the problem is that the computer reboots becouse of this, which is really annoying. I don't have any grounding in my house, so I am wondering if it is possible to get the statical electricity away?

Hi,
    Since i don't know your setup i just have to ask, are you using a analog tv tuner connected to a cable provider (if so test if the same happens when that one it's disconnected)?
    Btw, the "static" just indicates that something needs to be grounded which you can do to your water pipes (but not if they're made of plastic ;) )

Regards
    Roy

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom