Status of feature request-secondary display (1 Viewer)

toddbailey

Portal Pro
April 25, 2006
Pac NorWet
Hi All,

I've been away from MP for maybe 6 months because I need secondary display support. I was wondering if this bug has been looked at or resolved.

As I recall someone posted a bug fix for it but I never had to chance to follow it. This is a hard requirement in my environment.

If this bug hasn't been fixed, but some knows of the posting for a code fix for this, I like to see it.

tia

Don_Szturchen

Portal Member
June 6, 2006
Home Country
Poland Poland
Hello, can you write something more about this?? I would be very interested in this feature...

What this code fix does? Only switches displays and turns off your primary display or you can still work at first display while watching MediaPortal on second display?

Regards

toddbailey

Portal Pro
April 25, 2006
Pac NorWet
I did a search on "secondary display" and found a post that someone has a fix, work around or patch that supposabilly fixes the problem.

I plan to d/l the latest release and code base and see if mp is a viable replacement to meedio, with the patch applied.

Ruud

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 5, 2004
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Hi,
    Mediaportal can only be displayed correctly on the primary display. This is not a bug, but a restriction of .net. You can use it on the secondary display but then the performance is.... well not as flashy as it should be (due to these restriction.

I use mediaportal for a (very) long time in a dual display setup: my TV is the primary and I use Hydravision (ATI tool) to automatically display all other programs on the secundary display. In the current release of mediaportal with intergrated ATI support I can even use my computer via the secundairy display while my wife uses mediaportol via the remote: super.....

If you want more information about my setup please PM me.

kr.
    Ruud.

regeszter

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 29, 2005
    Home Country
    Hungary Hungary
    Try to use the clone mode as a workaround. The MP will run on primary display and the picture appear on secondary display too.

toddbailey

Portal Pro
    April 25, 2006
    Pac NorWet
    Bug or restriction call it what you like, other media apps handle secondary displays ok, MP should as well. I seriously doubt it's a dot net issue, MS has been writting apps that support multiple display for years. None of my other apps have issues with a secondary display, so why should MP be any different.

I want my desktop on my desktop monitor not on a projection screen 20 feet away. This is a multi-purpose machine where A/V is just one of it's purposes. The secondary monitor is just for a/v use. So I hope you can understand why I need secondary display support. Cloan also doesn't work due to different screen resolutions needed 1600 x 1200 desk versus 1024x768 projector

toddbailey

Portal Pro
    April 25, 2006
    Pac NorWet
    From the online help for Visual studio .net

VideoPortCreateSecondaryDisplay
    [This is preliminary documentation and subject to change.]

The VideoPortCreateSecondaryDisplay function enables dual-view support by creating a secondary device object for the given device.

VP_STATUS
    VideoPortCreateSecondaryDisplay(
    IN PVOID HwDeviceExtension,
    IN OUT PVOID *SecondaryDeviceExtension,
    IN ULONG ulFlag
    );

Parameters
    HwDeviceExtension
    Pointer to the miniport driver's device extension. This is the hardware extension for the device that wants to create additional display device objects.
    SecondaryDeviceExtension
    Pointer to the location in which to store the hardware device extension for the secondary display device.
    ulFlag
    Is a set of attributes for the secondary display device. This parameter is restricted to the following value:Value Meaning
    VIDEO_DUALVIEW_REMOVABLE The secondary view can be removed.

Return Value
    VideoPortCreateSecondaryDisplay returns NO_ERROR if the secondary display device was successfully created. Otherwise, this function returns an error code.

Headers
    Declared in video.h. Include video.h.

Comments
    This function is available in Windows XP and later.

In Windows XP and later, a removable logical device will never become the primary display.

Note that on some editions of Windows XP, VideoPortCreateSecondaryDisplay can deliberately fail to enable Dualview. In such cases, the display driver should remain in SingleView mode.

When the video minport driver calls VideoPortCreateSecondaryDisplay, the value of the ulFlags parameter must be equal to VIDEO_DUALVIEW_REMOVABLE, which is defined in ntddvdeo.h.

The flags VIDEO_DUALVIEW_PRIMARY and VIDEO_DUALVIEW_SECONDARY, which are defined in ntddvdeo.h, are for internal use only. The video miniport driver must never set these flags.

Callers of VideoPortCreateSecondaryDisplay must be running at IRQL = PASSIVE_LEVEL.

toddbailey

Portal Pro
    April 25, 2006
    Pac NorWet
    I've been using c#, ado, asp... yawn.. .net for a few years writing boring accounting and data formatting / validation tools. I guess it's time to really get my feet wet and take ownership of a task like this.

tourettes

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2005
    Not a bug in MP or .Net but a DirectX limitation. Please use searh if you wan't to find more information about this issue.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom