Strange problem with HDMI (1 Viewer)

MageMinds

Portal Pro
January 29, 2007
Home Country
Canada Canada
I have a strange problem with my new motherboard.

It's an Intel motherboard and I have a i3 processor on which I'm using the onboard video card connected to a HDMI TV.

The problem I have is that if I close the TV for example and leave the mediacanter open then when I open back the TV the mediacenter screen stay black. I have to hit reset to go back to being able to use the MP.

I've look at the video driver for an option about the HDMI being disabled is no TV is connected.

It does that not only when MediaPortal is open, it does that even with no software loaded, I can replicate the problem from the simple desktop.

I have Windows XP Pro. Intel motherboard DH55TC.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

Edit:
Solution in the following permalink: https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/general-support-51/solved-strange-problem-hdmi-91970/#post701860

Sanity_1977

Portal Member
December 29, 2010
Home Country
Is the TV still keeping it's last input setting of HDMI when it's turned back on? Could it be defaulting to a different input until the computer is restarted and the TV then forced to update the input again?

technick

Portal Pro
May 6, 2009
Home Country
France France
Welcome to HDCP problems (I think).... I solved them with a "HDMI Detective Plus" but it's not cheap :-/

robbo100

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 5, 2009
    UK
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    I am not sure this sounds like an HDMI problem, since from your description it sounds like MP is showing correctly on the screen up until you try to select live TV. If this is the case, it sounds more like a MP TV Server problem.

Just to make sure we understand your symptoms. Can you confirm that this is what is happening?

- You watch TV in MediaPortal.
    - You stop watching live TV and do something else with MP (like listen to music or watching a pre-recorded movie) - do all the menus continue working as normal?
    - After some time (say half an hour) you go back to the TV option in MediaPortal and when you try to watch a live TV programme MediaPortal shows a black screen and stops responding?

If this is what is happening, then can you try watching TV, pressing stop and going back to home, then immediately go back to watching TV again. - Does the TV work?

If my description of fault is correct, and the TV does work with my suggested test, then it sounds like a problem I had with MP TV Server. It was due to TV Server hanging during EPG grabbing. To fix this, I disabled the "CRC check enabled" in the TV Server DVB EPG settings.

Let us know how you get on.

Robbo100

MageMinds

Portal Pro
    January 29, 2007
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    Okay I made a little bit of testing and it seem that the problem is MP.

Let's say that I'm on the BasicHome screen and then I close the TV (power off the TV). I wait a few seconds and turn it back on, the MP screen is black and stay bacl until I hit ALT+F4 that closes MP and bring me back to Windows desktop.

It seem that the TV doesn't receive any signal from MP until I hit ALT+F4, then I see the resolution appear on the TV signalling that the TV is getting a signal from the HDMI and is initializing.

Then if I'm only on the Windows Desktop and power off the TV and turn it back on, the screen get initialized correctly.

Before that motherboard (the Intel) I had a Zotac (Atom N330) connected exactly the same way to the TV and did had this problem, and before the zotac I had an old MB with an old video card connected using VGA port to the same TV and that worked great too.

This problem prevent me from enabling the screensaver in MP that usually end up powering down the TV. It's not a big deal, the TV stay on forever (we have to close it manually) at least it's an LCD TV and not a Plasma TV. But I hope to solve this problem but conserve energy and just because it's a problem and I want to solved. This may be related to an other problem we have.

Sometimes the screen freeze for no apparent reason, the sounds in the menu continue to work, but the screen stay frozen, and I don't think I can navigate the menu; I can't close MP from the remote using well know button sequence. I have to hit ALT+F4 to close MP then I can restart it.

MageMinds

jonm

Portal Pro
    January 12, 2009
    Wales
    Home Country
    Wales Wales
    I'm not sure if this is the same issue but it's ringing a bell with me. Do you have a process called igfxpers.exe running? If you do, try killing it and see if that fixes it.

MageMinds

Portal Pro
    January 29, 2007
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    I'm not sure if this is the same issue but it's ringing a bell with me. Do you have a process called igfxpers.exe running? If you do, try killing it and see if that fixes it.

:D

Wow, thank you! That did correct my problem! Thank you!

I was like you said having a process running called igfxpers.exe, I killed it and tried and it worked. Then I used "msconfig" to delete it from the Startup process.

Let's hope that will also solve my random screen freezing while I browse lists.

Thank you jonm, I knew that someone would be able to help me, I love this forum, MP and its community are awesome.

MageMinds

MageMinds

Portal Pro
    January 29, 2007
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    Re: [SOLVED] Strange problem with HDMI

Here an update on my situation.

I solved the main problem by removing igfxpers.exe and any other Intel Tools for that matter from the startup. This solved the problem when I close my TV it won't come back when I open it up again (screen saver).

The latest problem I have is now that without igfxpers.exe I need to have my TV open and initialized before opening my PC, if not I'm completely unable to get a picture. In VNC I can see that everything is fine, then I got to change the resolution and the TV come back on. I tried a program that close the monitor and re enable it with no luck either.

Windows is always trying to detect the tv on the HDMI port, I wish there could be a way of telling it what is connected and disable the auto detection... Like : "Hey stupid Windows XP, here is what's connected to your HDMI port, don't bother trying to detect anything, just do what I tell you."

I tried the two drivers version available on the Intel site, same results. I tried installing a inf for my tv generated from Monitor Asset Manager 2.5.

MageMinds

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom