Strange sound lag when watching SD-Videos (1 Viewer)

Felias

Portal Pro
August 28, 2008
Home Country
Germany Germany
Hi there,

since a few days, i've encoutered a strange issue with my MP-HTPC. I am streaming my media files from an ubuntu-server, and i am playing SD and HD-Files. The HD-Files are working as a charm, even 1080p-material (mkv) runs smoothly and in sync.

When playing SD though, the sound has a severe laag (~1sec or more) compared to the video stream. I've encoutered this with all DivX, Xvid or similar material.

As HD uses a much higher tranfer rate, i think i can substract the lan performance from the list of possible causes. FFDshow has always worked fine for me. I've tried the other available drivers, but no luck with them.

Do you have any tip where the problem might be located? If you need more information please let me know. But as HD works fine, i guess several causes can be killed...

MediaPortal Version: 1.0 RC3
MediaPortal Skin: AEON
Windows Version: XP Professional
CPU Type: Athlon X2 3000+
HDD: 20 GB
Memory: 4 GB
Motherboard: Gigabyte 780g
Video Card: Onboard
Video Card Driver: Latest
MPEG2 Video Codec: ffdshow
MPEG2 Audio Codec: ffdshow
h.264 Video Codec: coreAVC
TV - HTPC Connection: HDMI

Thanks a lot in advance,
Felias

Slurm

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 16, 2006
    Graz
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    I've had the same problem.

First I disabled all features in ffdshow (resizing, avisynth, whatever was there) to be sure it's definitly no performance problem. This didn't help.

Then I played around with the settings in Mediaportal and tried different codecs. All had the same audio lag.

In the end I "solved" the problem by using reclock as audio renderer and ac3filter as audio codec. Now I have lip sync playback.

Felias

Portal Pro
    August 28, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Slurm:

Thanks for the tip, this really sounds exactly like the situation over here. I'll try this "hack" tonight. Not the nicest solution, but if it works i am fine with it.

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Any sound problems i have seen posted here on the forum, have been down to the driver or codec, reinstalling either or both has solved this for users in the past, oh there where 2 unusual cases, where the users had managed to activate the sound part in their ATI video driver software, that was a real twat to solve, because neither user remembered doing it, and who associates audio problems with video driver.

Slurm

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 16, 2006
    Graz
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    Any sound problems i have seen posted here on the forum, have been down to the driver or codec, reinstalling either or both has solved this for users in the past, oh there where 2 unusual cases, where the users had managed to activate the sound part in their ATI video driver software, that was a real twat to solve, because neither user remembered doing it, and who associates audio problems with video driver.

As I've read many posts which recommend the same, I reinstalled audio and video drivers and the used codecs, but it made no difference.

I've also looked at the codecs with filmerit and there were no errors. Even reinstalling MP didn't help.

Do you have any other hints to find out where the reason for audio-video sync problems lies?

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    The only other link is DirectX, which if its foobar, even installing the latest August 2008 update may not repair.

Just sometimes you have to start over and reinstall a clean OS to work from.

That kind of comment i don't give lightly, but sometimes it really is necessary when all else fails :(

Slurm

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 16, 2006
    Graz
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    The only other link is DirectX, which if its foobar, even installing the latest August 2008 update may not repair.

Just sometimes you have to start over and reinstall a clean OS to work from.

That kind of comment i don't give lightly, but sometimes it really is necessary when all else fails :(

Yes, that would be really the last thing to do as I have a lot of other programs installed and it would take a long time to get the system in the state it is now.

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    Yes, that would be really the last thing to do as I have a lot of other programs installed and it would take a long time to get the system in the state it is now.

Same boat, so know the feeling, have had to do it twice since Vista came out, that's my problem i enjoy trying other software, even if it does screw up my existing setup :(

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom