Stream drops to audio after a short time

Discussion in 'iPiMP' started by cheezey, November 26, 2010.

1. cheezey

cheezey Community Plugin Dev

Technical architect
    Ratings:
    +315 / 0
    Home Country:
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    There are a number of reports now of this issue, could I ask anyone you wants to help diagnose this to post the following logs:

1. %ProgramFiles%\iPiMP\Apache\logs\error.log
    2. %ProgramFiles%\iPiMP\Apache\logs\access.log
    3. %AppData%\Team MediaPortal\MediaPortal TV Server\log\tv.log

Please also test streaming Live TV, TV Recordings & TV Series and confirm your connection (3G / wifi etc.)

[EDIT] - Please also give an idea of your PC specs and if possible your CPU usage whilst streaming.

Thanks

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Lolento

Lolento Portal Pro

Ratings:
    +7 / 0
    Home Country:
    United States of America United States of America
    Cheezey,

Here are my logs.....I stopped the stream shortly after the video dropped out.

• Like Like x 1
  4. griffindodd

griffindodd Portal Pro

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    Here you go Cheezey.

Streaming from Win 7 Ultimate 32bit to iPhone 4.0 4.1

CPU usage very high on transcode at 70% average on a Core Duo 2 @ 3.43ghz with 4gb DDR2

5. griffindodd

griffindodd Portal Pro

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    It looks like this issue is related to rebuffering from the transcoder not being able to keep up with the input. I am using 1080i input from a HVR-1255 as my source.

If I bypass the iphone and go access the stream through a browser on my desktop at work over our dual T1 I notice that the stream buffers the first 25 seconds of the broadcast but then stops playback. I would guess that the transcoder is falling behind.

I get slightly better performance out of FFMpeg transcoding so my computer can spit out the stream quicker and delay the rebuffering.

Better performance again when choosing a lower quality output from the FFmpeg options, choosing libx264-ipod320 obviously gives better results as it has less to spit out.

Also if I test the service using a loopback IP address of 127.0.0.1 in my browser on the MPTV Server computer I get the same issues which would cut out the possibility of the problem being connection/bandwidth related.

6. Lolento

Lolento Portal Pro

Ratings:
    +7 / 0
    Home Country:
    United States of America United States of America
    If that is the case then I suppose ffmpeg with dxva will work (or at least better) but I see no difference trying both.

7. SiLenTYL
    • Team MediaPortal

SiLenTYL Retired Team Member

Ratings:
    +153 / 0
    Home Country:
    Australia Australia
    cheesey ...

whats the lowest setting possible...for when i have bad reception on my phone and using the lowest amount of cpu on the pc running MP ?

best to use ffmpeg or handbrake?

8. cheezey

cheezey Community Plugin Dev

Technical architect
    Ratings:
    +315 / 0
    Home Country:
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Don't know about the lowest setting - it's trial and error really and very dependent on your PC specs and the video source, e.g. it takes a lot more to transcode a full HD channel than a SD one. It obviously needs more thought into streaming, one profile will not fit all.

One thing though - ffmpeg is always used for streaming now, the ffmpeg/handbrake choice in the installer is for the iPiMPTranscodeToMP4 plugin for automatic/manual transcoding of your recordings. I'll continue to maintain this but it will be spun off into a separate TV Server plugin installer in one of the next versions and integration with iPiMP removed. If you want to try different transcode settings for streaming look in C:\program files\iPiMP\Aspx\config.xml

9. griffindodd

griffindodd Portal Pro

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    Ahh ok that is good to know thanks Cheezey I will check that out and see if I can get any different results.

Also do you know if FFMpeg supports QUad core in the windows build? I have been considering upgrading my CPU and I'm wondering if going to a Quad core will improve performance in areas like transcoding and decoding of video material.

10. webcris77

webcris77 Portal Pro

Ratings:
    +8 / 0
    Home Country:
    Italy Italy
    i send my log, can anyone help me?
    :D

11. griffindodd

griffindodd Portal Pro

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    Interesting...

I changed the bandwidth variable for video (which I assume is the -b flag) and it didn't seem to make any difference. I turned it all the way down to 10k but the stream still looked very high quality on the iPhone.

Here's the variable and profile I altered...

<transcoder name="LiveTV" usetranscoding="1" filename="&quot;C:/Program Files/iPiMP/Utilities/ffmpeg\ffmpeg.exe&quot;" args="-i - -threads 0 -re -vcodec libx264 -fpre &quot;C:/Program Files/iPiMP/Utilities/ffmpeg/ffpresets/libx264-iPiMP.ffpreset&quot; -b 256k -s 480x272 -aspect 480:272 -acodec libfaac -ac 2 -ab 64k -ar 48000 -ac 2 -async 2 -f ism http://127.0.0.1:1972/SmoothStream.isml/Streams(SmoothStream)?dvr_window_length=15" inputmethod="2" outputmethod="4" />

Could it be that FFMpeg is ignoring the conditions set in this config??

UPDATE::

Ok I fixed the bitrate issue by specifying the buffer size and managing the min/max bitrates...

-b 256k -bufsize 100000K -minrate 128K -maxrate 312K

So at least it's not ignoring the bitrate now.

However this doesn't solve the dropout problem.

FOUND THIS

I noticed that if I left the video to buffer for a few minutes before playing it still drops out after a few seconds, it seems that playback starts 5 seconds from the end of the buffer rather than starting from the beginning, so even letting the stream buffer for 2 minutes, when you press play it starts playback from 1:55 and then of course runs out of buffer quickly.

I noticed it does the same on Flash streaming in a web browser and the iPhone playback, so it's not just isolated to the iPhone as such.

Not sure how to stop this.

• Like Like x 1

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice
  • About The Project

The vision of the MediaPortal project is to create a free open source media centre application, which supports all advanced media centre functions, and is accessible to all Windows users.

In reaching this goal we are working every day to make sure our software is one of the best.

• Support MediaPortal!

The team works very hard to make sure the community is running the best HTPC-software. We give away MediaPortal for free but hosting and software is not for us.

Care to support our work with a few bucks? We'd really appreciate it!