Streaming Video via USB 2.0? (1 Viewer)

WombatMan

Portal Member
September 25, 2008
I’m considering getting a 1TB external USB 2.0 hard drive to put all my movies and music on, then running Media Portal on the front end. My question is, if I hook the external hard drive directly to the PC running MediaPortal, is USB 2.0 fast enough to stream the movie files? I’m not too worried about the music files, but will it stream a 700MB movie smoothly?

Thanks!

SwedeNewbie

Portal Member
January 28, 2009
Home Country
Sweden Sweden
Sure, a USB 2.O HD can transfere data at a rate of 480 Mbit/s = 60 MB/s so a 700 Mb movie can normally be tranfered in about 12 seconds, thereby no problems with streaming from USB 2.0 HD to MediaPortal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Similar threads

So the GT 1030 is ~AU$120 and the GTX 1650 ~AU$260 (based on my local store). Which, surprisingly for Australia, is just about bang-on the conversion rate. :) Cheers.
So the GT 1030 is ~AU$120 and the GTX 1650 ~AU$260 (based on my local store). Which, surprisingly for Australia, is just about...
So I'm not sure what is going on. For the record I am using MediaPortal 1.22 with MP-TVSeries and MovingPicture. 6+ months ago, I...
Replies
Views
Been scratching my eyeballs out trying to get this to work! Have everything set up correctly: I'm trying to access WebMediaPortal over the internet but when I try to play a movie it returns the following error: "Error Loading Media: File Not Found". I am not using a NAS and have set up the server on this PC which is connected via...
Been scratching my eyeballs out trying to get this to work! Have everything set up correctly: I'm trying to access WebMediaPortal...
Been scratching my eyeballs out trying to get this to work! Have everything set up correctly: I'm trying to access WebMediaPortal...
Replies
Views
Thank You so much! I was able to completely uninstall MP2 after following your advice. After doing a clean reinstall, I have successfully scanned for channels. I haven't checked the Movie thing yet as it is still importing data, but I think will probably work now. I did put all my system info up (it took me ages) but maybe I...
Thank You so much! I was able to completely uninstall MP2 after following your advice. After doing a clean reinstall, I have...
I am relatively new to media portal 2. Both our computers died recently and with new computers using windows10 I thought MP2 would...
Replies
Views
That's awesome news! I can't say how I'm happy to help fellow XP user :D
That's awesome news! I can't say how I'm happy to help fellow XP user :D
Ok, I’m back, MP1.14 has been working great for the last few years, up until last month when a recording overwrote the hard drive...
Replies
Views
Nolos, Since you mentioned Plex and you own the SiliconDust HD Homerun, I would recommend that you instead take a serious look at Emby rather than Plex. Emby is basically a competitor to Plex. And, they just added native support for the HD HomeRun for Live TV. Their big thing is that they want the TV guide to be "stunning". It would...
Nolos, Since you mentioned Plex and you own the SiliconDust HD Homerun, I would recommend that you instead take a serious look at...
Just wanted to give you a heads up on my recent and very first install of your software. I have Plex and I use PlayOn and I just...
Replies
Views
Top Bottom