Strong tuner (1 Viewer)

mrkaras

Portal Pro
December 9, 2006
Home Country
If I watch Digital TV using the tuner built into my TV I can bet almost perfect reception using only an approx 150mm long antenna but through my PC TV tuner card I can't get anything like that. Mediaportal drops out, stutters and pixelates (not much pixelation) using a outdoor antenna, no chance of even starting with the little one. Why is that. is my card really that bad, would a decent card work as well as the TV's built in tuner? I were considering a DVICO FUSIONHDTV DUAL DIGITAL 4.

also, the home page says the new versions of the new TV engine will support software encoder cards, will this include support for software encoding RCA/composite inputs or just TV tuning?

December 28, 2005
Sydney
Home Country
Different tuners/cards have different about of amplification and error correction of the signal. Try and place the card in different slots as there may be something inside your PC causing noise which is being picked the tuner.

Decent card?... will I’ve got 2 cards one cheap and one “decent” card. The cheap one is much better then the decent card which is a DVICO fusionHDTV dual. I’ve had more trouble with the Dvico card, it has died 2 times with in a year.

Marcusb

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 16, 2005
    Melbourne
    I find the newer range of digital cards have better reception. I have a few older cards and their reception is fair. I have a new dual digital from Dvico as well and while the card itself isn't as good (in my opinion), it gets much better reception. It has signal strength checking software and it scores much higher than an older dvico I have. I can't test any non dvico cards with the software though.

Also, make sure that you have good connections going to your HTPC. I know you probably already have, but it can't hurt to triple check every connection.

December 28, 2005
    Sydney
    Home Country
    drops out, stutters and pixilated
    I did have this issue when I first installed my cheap twinhand single tuner. I moved it to the slot furthermost away from my graphics card and wireless card. The poor “reception” is no long an issue.

Poor reception can be other things then a weak terrestrial signal. Inside a PC there is A LOT of electrical noise and with things like tuners they need to be shielded/filter from this. If noise is introduced before or during op-amp stage(s) the signal data will be corrupted and no matter how good the tuners error correction is it will not be able to guess what the data should have been.

You can also use mediaportal to check your signal strength on any card.

mrkaras

Portal Pro
    December 9, 2006
    Home Country
    Decent card?... will I’ve got 2 cards one cheap and one “decent” card. The cheap one is much better then the decent card which is a DVICO fusionHDTV dual. I’ve had more trouble with the Dvico card, it has died 2 times with in a year.

what version is that, I think there was the original version , a 2 version and a 4 version. I read somewhere on a review that the latest (4) was a lot better and fixed several problems. just wondering if I should still get one? anybody else with this card?

my card is already in the slot furthest from anything else.

I have a new dual digital from Dvico as well and while the card itself isn't as good (in my opinion),
    What is wrong with it, why is it not as good?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom