Stuttering Live TV and Recordings with TV-Server 1.0.1 and AMD 780G (1 Viewer)

thecubist

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 22, 2009
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    TV-Server Version: 1.0.1
    MediaPortal Version: 1.0.1
    MediaPortal Skin: Blue3
    Windows Version: XP Home SP3
    CPU Type: AMD Athlon X2 5050e
    HDD: Samsung 250 GB
    Memory: 2048 MB DDR2-800
    Motherboard: ASUS M3A78-EM
    Video Card: Onboard ATI Radeon 3200 (AMD 780G)
    Video Card Driver: 8.600.00
    Sound Card: Onboard SPDIF (coaxial) out
    Sound Card AC3: Onboard coaxial out
    Sound Card Driver:
    1. TV Card: TechniSat SkyStar 2
    1. TV Card Type: DVB-S
    1. TV Card Driver: 4.5.0.0
    MPEG2 Video Codec: MPC (Gabest)
    MPEG2 Audio Codec: MPC - MPA
    h.264 Video Codec: none
    Satelite/CableTV Provider: Astra 19.2°E
    HTPC Case: My own CaseCon
    Cooling:
    Power Supply:
    Remote: Medion X10
    TV: Philips 20" LCD Monitor and Benq Beamer
    TV - HTPC Connection: VGA and DVI

I am new in the forum so first of all I want to thank all making MediaPortal possible.
    After upgrading my hardware and installing a single seat client server configuration for the first time, I encounter serious stuttering problems.
    The video stuttering occurs when watching live tv, in some rare cases also some coloured big squared artefacts are shown. The sound is also interrupted which makes watching tv almost impossible.
    The stuttering is obviously also recorded, when rewinding a recording, the stuttering occours always again at the same time.
    CPU usage is about between 10 and 40% when watching TV and does not rise when the stuttering occours.
    Watching tv with the dvbviewer works perfectly, so the sat signal quality seems sufficient.

I honestly promise to donate for MediaPortal if anybody out there could help me to make it run properly!
    Thanks in advance,
    thecubist

thecubist

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 22, 2009
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I installed "amd dual core optimiser" as suggested in
    https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/general-talk-233/stuttering-livetv-38450/index24.html#post395802 but it does not fix the problem.
    When starting TV sound and image is fine for some time and later the stuttering starts, frequency differs from time to time ...
    I disabled virus scanner (thought it might disturb the time shifting) and Cool & Quiet ... none off these changes was helpfull.

Are there more things I should try???
    Please help me, I want to watch TV again!

thecubist

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 22, 2009
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    "use exclusive mode" is checked ...
    meanwhile I experimented with almost every available settings, checked latency times which are at about 1000 ms and reduce to about 500 ms when the skystar2 is disabled. unfortunately this is no solution for watching tv ;-)
    the interesting news: stuttering is strongly reduced (almost completely gone) after REDUCING cpu frequency! I use crystalcpuid tool with multplier management to underclock the cpu. the maximum cpu frequency was 2600Mhz (nominal cpu spec). I reduced it to 2000Mhz and though I don't understand why, things are better now. I found this solution by observing cpu frequency while watching tv and found, that stuttering occured only, when the cpu frequency rised to the maximum value.
    anybody out there, who can explain this strange effect?

thecubist

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 22, 2009
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    tv still stuttering

Today there's stuttering again ;-(
    I am watching tv while recording the same program, unfortunately, there are these anoying interruptions again, video stops and there is no sound for a moment then.
    By the way: upgraded to MediaPortal 1.0.2 yesterday ...

Really nobody out there with a solution for that?

thecubist

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 22, 2009
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Stuttering without recording ...

Me again, today I am watching tv without recording and, unfortunately, the same problem ...
    Does anybody run MediaPortal on a ASUS M3A78-EM using onboard graphics? If so, which DVB-S card do you use?

thecubist

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 22, 2009
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I don't think it's the same problem, since I am far away from 1080 HD, in good old germany it is good old PAL tv.
    Would these deinterlacing issues occur always at the same time in recordings or timeshift? I still think, it's something about the tv-server, since the stuttering seems to be recorded also ...

Manuelito

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 23, 2007
    Home Country
    Spain Spain
    Have you tried other audio devices or codes?. For example, using the ffdshow mp3lib. For trying ....

winstonc69

Portal Member
    November 11, 2008
    Hi Cubist,

Just upgraded my mediaportal TV-server to a Gigabyte 780G chipset mb (due to hardware failure) and seem to be having similar problems to you. Changing codecs within mediaportal has had no effect.

In may case however, viewing back the recordings in another application (wmp) exibits non of the stuttering. This was using a standard network share, could it be RTSP within mediaportal?

Will experiment some more & let you know if I find a solution.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom