Stuttering Live-TV nearly gone!!! Please try my solution and give feedback! (1 Viewer)

tom78

Portal Pro
August 10, 2007
Home Country
Germany Germany
Hello everybody!

If
- Live-TV or video playback begins to stutter after watching for a while (few minutes/hours)
- a restart of the system solves the stuttering problem for a while (few minutes/hours)
- using timeshift buffer (short pause) has no effect
- your system resources are not the reason for stuttering (e.g. CPU Load should be under 40%)
- you have a grafics card with NVidia chipset

then you should try this:

1. download and install powerstrip (EnTech Taiwan | Utilities | PowerStrip)
2. right click on the powerstrip Icon in task tray -> Performance Profiles -> Configure...
3. reduce the GPU Frequency

That was it.

Please give feedback!!!

My standard settings were 460MHz for my GPU and 400 MHZ for the RAM.
I reduced the GPU-frequency to 400MHZ and now it works much more better than before
(I use a MSI Nvidia GeForce 8500GT in my HTPC)

jimbeam128

Portal Pro
December 16, 2008
Home Country
Germany Germany
I have the same problem and nearly same hardware. - Also Nvidia Geforce card. Will test it today and will post in a few days if it works or not.....

jestermgee

Portal Pro
February 23, 2008
In a house
Home Country
I use to have stutter issues about a year ago.

My issue was solved by:

Installing decent RF cable and scheduling a defrag using ULTRADEFRAG every night.

My main issue was my HDD was suffering from almost 98% fragmentation because of the multi-recordings and timeshift buffering. I have not had a single stutter since then.

:D

fabien44

Portal Pro
March 12, 2006
For me, i have a DVB-T card with stuttering Live-TV issue and a DVB-S card on the same machine with no stuttering Live-TV. So it could be a hardware problem, a software problem, a CPU usage problem, etc.

With my user experience, i could say it could be linked to timeshift buffering (hard disk & CPU use)

jhb

Portal Pro
September 19, 2006
Gothenburg
Home Country
Sweden Sweden
I have this roblem occationally, mainly when using timeshifting (paused the show). But I have ATI/AMDD graphics board. I think this problem may have several sources...

fabien44

Portal Pro
March 12, 2006
I found a solution in my case:
I add a TV-male/female adaptator between TV cable and TV-output on the wall and no more struttering.

27InchSony

Portal Member
May 7, 2009
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
I have a very new (less than 2 weeks old) AMD/Geforce setup. There's no way my 1TB HDD is fragged with < 8hrs of viewing on the machine. I experience stuttering every so often given the timing you've described. The stuttering can be explained as dropping a few frames in bursts with many seconds to several minutes in between the stutters. I first noticed it while timeshifting and recording another channel. My hardware should have plenty of power as authenticated by monitoring via perfmon (disk queue, CPU, IO). I don't know what to blame quite yet, but I haven't watched it long enough to convince myself of a pattern. I'm still configuring things now, so I'll keep an eye on this thread if it persists.

BillILoumez

February 7, 2008
Home Country
Germany Germany
Hi there!
My first post, so hi everyone!
I just wanted to share my solution.
So I experienced extreme stuttering after watching about 10 minutes of live tv and I've tried almoust every solution postet in this forum.
What I did to narrow down the possible reasons was to run a perfmon on my media pc and that's how I found out, that my hdd was reading and writing at 100% almost all the time. So after two weeks of trying and trying I just disabled the AntiVir Guard. And what can I tell.. no more stuttering whatsoever. Now I just have to ask myself if I can live with a media pc without virus protection.. But I think.. yes I can.
I hope this will help some frustrated stutter victims out there.
billiloumez

Andrew H

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 8, 2007
    Alabama
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    I have a very new (less than 2 weeks old) AMD/Geforce setup. There's no way my 1TB HDD is fragged with < 8hrs of viewing on the machine. I experience stuttering every so often given the timing you've described. The stuttering can be explained as dropping a few frames in bursts with many seconds to several minutes in between the stutters. I first noticed it while timeshifting and recording another channel. My hardware should have plenty of power as authenticated by monitoring via perfmon (disk queue, CPU, IO). I don't know what to blame quite yet, but I haven't watched it long enough to convince myself of a pattern. I'm still configuring things now, so I'll keep an eye on this thread if it persists.
    Do you notice it on 1080i and 720p broadcasts or just 1080i? Read this and see if it fits... also, please fill in your My System in your profile so we can see what version of MP are you running...

jimbeam128

Portal Pro
    December 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi all,

so I tried to use Powerstrip with lower GPU Frequency, but still the same Issue. There must be something different....

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom