Subtitle loading obeying mkv default flag (1 Viewer)

lordreign

November 19, 2007
Hi,

After alot of searching I couldn't find anything directly regarding this issue so I thought I'd start a topic.

When muxing mkv files you can set an option for whether or not you would like a subtitle track (or any track for that matter) to be automatically displayed. This is very handy for movies with select moments of foreign language which are subtitled whilst the rest of the movie (which for me is English) does not have subtitles (often known as Forced-Subtitles). There are a fair few DVD's that do this. LOTR is a notable one where the elvish spoken dialog is subtitled and translated so we can understand it, but the rest of the movie is not.

When playing these files with a typical media player such as media player classic in conjunction with haali media splitter and VSfilter this works perfectly (setting VSfilter to autoload in Haali makes not difference with this). Whereby the movies that have a subtitled track set to be loaded by default, display the specified subtitles. Also the movies that do not have a default subtitle track set do not display subtitles. I've noticed the way in which it does this is by turning on show subtitles in VSfilter but selects "No Subtitles" from the list of available subtites (for the movies which do not have subtitles to be shown). So obviously the default flag is interpreted by Haali to tell VSFilter to turn on/off the appropriate language/subtitle.

What I have noticed is that when trying to play these movies in mediaportal is that Haali thinks the subtitles are always on by default. So if a movie has a subtitle track it is always displayed, but what we want is just for the subtitles to be displayed if they are usually always on eg. the LOTR example above. So I am not exactly sure what is to fault, Haali always thinks subtitles should be on when sometimes they are and sometimes they aren't, depending on the movie. If anyone has managed to find a workaround for this any help would be much appreciated.

Cheers.

PS: Remember this is not about changing "Show Subtitles" or "Hide Subtitles" in VobSub. It is about Haali automatically setting the subtitles track to Nothing or not. So "Show Subtitles" would always be on but a language would not always be selected. This is how it works for regular DirectShow Players.

TV-Server Version:
MediaPortal Version: 0.2.3.0
MediaPortal Skin: Spinsafe Revolve
Windows Version: XP SP.2
CPU Type: AMD Athlon 4200+
HDD: Seagate 200GB
Memory: 1GB Geil/Kingmax
Motherboard: ASUS A8V-Deluxe
Motherboard Chipset: VIA KT-Something
Motherboard Bios: American Megatrends
Video Card: Albatron 6600GT
Video Card Driver: 169.21
Sound Card: Creative Audigy2 ZS
Sound Card AC3: Coaxial Out
Sound Card Driver: 2.09
1. TV Card: DVICO Dual Digital PCI
1. TV Card Type: DVB-T
1. TV Card Driver: 3.52
2. TV Card: DVICO Dual Digital PCI
2. TV Card Type: DVB-T
2. TV Card Driver: 3.52
3. TV Card:
3. TV Card Type:
3. TV Card Driver:
4. TV Card:
4. TV Card Type:
4. TV Card Driver:
MPEG2 Video Codec: Dscaler5
MPEG2 Audio Codec: AC3Filter
Satelite/CableTV Provider:
HTPC Case: Silverstone LC16-MR
Cooling: Thermalright XP-90
Power Supply: ANTEC True Power Trio 430W
Remote: Supplied Silverstone Remote (iMON)
TV: NEC LCD TV (1360x768)
TV - HTPC Connection: DVI (HDMI)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom