Subtitles icon and integrated subtitles (1 Viewer)

Zinu

Portal Pro
February 28, 2008
Home Country
Netherlands Netherlands
Hi there,

It seems to be a new trend with TV show scene releases: integrated english subtitles in the .mkv container. Great and all, but not for me. I always found it easy to look at the SUBTITLES icon which MyTVseries when there are subtitles available, to know whether or not I already downloaded subtitles for that episode from Bierdopje or not. I have a strange habit to check this every now and then without actually watching the episode right after, so this is kinda bad for me :p

Is there a way to have MyTVseries ignore integrated subtitles and only look for .srt files with the same filename? Maybe in the views somewhere? My knowledge on this lacks in such a way I can't figure it out myself...

Thanks!

RoChess

Extension Developer
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 10, 2006
    Hi there,

It seems to be a new trend with TV show scene releases: integrated english subtitles in the .mkv container. Great and all, but not for me. I always found it easy to look at the SUBTITLES icon which MyTVseries when there are subtitles available, to know whether or not I already downloaded subtitles for that episode from Bierdopje or not. I have a strange habit to check this every now and then without actually watching the episode right after, so this is kinda bad for me :p

Is there a way to have MyTVseries ignore integrated subtitles and only look for .srt files with the same filename? Maybe in the views somewhere? My knowledge on this lacks in such a way I can't figure it out myself...

Thanks!

If you download your media, process them and then add them to your MP-TVSeries import folder, you can simply add an extra process to the steps. The extra process would then strip all included subtitles from the AVI/MKV container. There are many command-line tools available to do this, so you can script this easy for your existing process method.

The speed in which subtitle tracks can be removed is very fast, so it won't add much of a delay to your existing methods. You can even detect the language of the subtitles, however this relies on the original author to have properly defined the language, and this unfortunatly leaves much to be desired.

Zinu

Portal Pro
    February 28, 2008
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    I didn't know that was possible. Any chance you can name one of those tools? I know MKVtoolnix can do this, but afaik it can't to it automatically by monitoring a parent folder.

RoChess

Extension Developer
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 10, 2006
    I didn't know that was possible. Any chance you can name one of those tools? I know MKVtoolnix can do this, but afaik it can't to it automatically by monitoring a parent folder.

ffmpeg and mkvmerge (part of the mkvtoolnix toolkit u already have) are command-line tools that you can use to strip subtitles from the file.

The key is to strip it *before* you add it to the MP-TVSeries import folder, as otherwise MP-TVSeries will have already done the MediaInfo import to detect the file has subtitles, which means you would have to force an update manually then to correct this afterwards.

So after download, but before you move it to the import path is when you need to strip the subtitles. Now if you do those steps manually then it would be very easy you just run the command on the media file first (possibly via context menu option that you can add yourself), or if you have an automated process you would add it to the post-process command script list before the copy command.

If your existing download application doesn't have post-processing abilities build-in, then you can always resort to an extra tool that does folder-monitoring-post-processing, as in it detects when new files are added to a folder and then it will run the post-process script you defined. With Windows 7 you can even use the Task system via a Trigger event to do the same.

For mkvmerge you would use the '-S' or '--no-subtitles' commandline option. Explanation of all instructions at: mkvmerge

Enjoy

Zinu

Portal Pro
    February 28, 2008
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Thank you. I use SABnzbd on a headless file server, which supports post-processing on files, so an automated process would be nice. I'll look into it.

RoChess

Extension Developer
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 10, 2006
    Thank you. I use SABnzbd on a headless file server, which supports post-processing on files, so an automated process would be nice. I'll look into it.

You can definatly do it then, I use multiple CMD files myself in SABnzbd+ that are linked to the categories I have created. You could do the same to for example only strip the subtitles from TV shows and leave other media alone. The method you use for the script relies on the OS that SABnzbd+ runs on, and I reckon your headless server runs on some sort of Linux distro, so you will have to look into Bash scripting. It's not the end of the world, with a little bit of Googling you can get a lot of examples. The more feedback you give on your setup and what actions you want to take, the easier it will be for me or others to help you write a post-process script that will work.

Zinu

Portal Pro
    February 28, 2008
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    I run it in a Windows Server 2008 R2 x64 environment. SABnzbd's temp dir (where it stores its files before moving them to the correct location) is S:\Temp\Sabnzbd\downloads\incomplete. After that I set it to move it to S:\Video\TV series\<show name>\Season X\<file.mkv>. I don't know whether I can let such a script monitor the parent folder TV series and in what matter it affects performance having to scan such a large folder each time, but if it can't letting it monitor a specific folder would be OK too.
    The objective is to automatically remove embedded English subtitles from .mkv containers that were downloaded in SABnzbd's 'tv' category.

I've been looking into writing scripts in the SABnzbd documentation, but coding isn't my strongest skill to say the least. It would be great if you or someone else could help me write such a post-processing script.

EDIT: Now I come to think of it, automatically removing embedded English subtitles with SABnzbd's 'movies' category would be nice too.. These are saved in S:\Video\Films

RoChess

Extension Developer
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 10, 2006
    I run it in a Windows Server 2008 R2 x64 environment. SABnzbd's temp dir (where it stores its files before moving them to the correct location) is S:\Temp\Sabnzbd\downloads\incomplete. After that I set it to move it to S:\Video\TV series\<show name>\Season X\<file.mkv>. I don't know whether I can let such a script monitor the parent folder TV series and in what matter it affects performance having to scan such a large folder each time, but if it can't letting it monitor a specific folder would be OK too.
    The objective is to automatically remove embedded English subtitles from .mkv containers that were downloaded in SABnzbd's 'tv' category.

I've been looking into writing scripts in the SABnzbd documentation, but coding isn't my strongest skill to say the least. It would be great if you or someone else could help me write such a post-processing script.

EDIT: Now I come to think of it, automatically removing embedded English subtitles with SABnzbd's 'movies' category would be nice too.. These are saved in S:\Video\Films

Ok for a Windows server it is easy, just simple batch scripts. In SABnzbd+ you have multiple ways to setup post-processing. You can do it global for everything, or at category level and you can even manually override it per download.

Open your SABnzbd+ config, and under "Switches", you can configure a "Default User Script", which will be used for *every* download. However before you can select a script, you first need to create one. So make a folder, for example "S:\Temp\Sabnzbd\User scripts" and create a new file inside of it, say "Strip Subs.cmd", open it in notepad and put in "@Echo off" for now. Later you can then add your commands to strip subtitles and move it to the final destination.

Then go back to SABnzbd+, goto config -> "Folders", and where it says "Post-Processing Scripts Folder:", you give it the same "S:\Temp\Sabnzbd\User scripts" path we created earlier that will hold your prost-processing scripts. Save the settings, then go back to the "Switches" tab, and you will now be able to select "Strip Subs.cmd" from the drop down list.

Instead of a global post-processing script, you can also go to your 'Categories', and you will now have a column called "Script" where you can define a post-processing script *PER* category. And you can always overrule a script inside the queue as well.

Now as for the actual "Strip Subs.cmd" post-processing script, you would get something such as:

Code:
    @Echo Off
    echo Stripping Subtitle Tracks...
    REM locate mkv files inside %1 folder
    REM process mkv files with:
    REM mkvmerge -o output.mkv --nosubs input.mkv

echo Moving file to final destination...
    REM move the output.mkv file to the end result, you can use %1 and/or %2 to get the original name back

echo %~nx0% Script Finished!

You will have to do a little bit of Googling to get the functional commands you need. The scripts I use myself only work for my own setup, so no point in sharing those. All the SABnzbd+ parameters you can use can be found at:

User Scripts - SABnzbd

I'm busy right now, but Google for some example scripts first, you can not be the first to want to do this, so there has to be a Windows compatible post-processing script somewhere, but later this week I should have time to build you one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom