Subtitles resync on the fly. Possible bounty? (1 Viewer)

gorman

Portal Member
May 1, 2006
Is what's been requested here (DirectVobSub v2.37 remote control - Doom9's Forum) in any way possible without resorting to hacks?

I've asked a couple of times already and this feature is still lacking. Several media players support it natively and, considering that there's a plugin specifically dedicated to TV Series, I can't believe to be the only one that, from time to time, finds himself with slightly out of synch subs, due to different releases...

I would be willing to provide some kind of bounty, through PayPal if some developer could solve this. I don't know if it's considered proper behaviour, I hope not to offend anybody...

gorman

Portal Member
May 1, 2006
No answers? Is any of the developers willing to comment on this feature lacking from the standard release?

Look at the success of the TV Series plugin, isn't this option a must for people watching episodes in foreign countries?

Furetto

Moderator - Dutch Forums
April 11, 2005
Brussels
Home Country
Belgium Belgium
You're not the only one that would be happy with this feature, so would I. But none of the developers has the time
to do it right now, and I have no clue on how to do it myself either. Unless you know how to, we'll just have to work around this ;)

I am quite happy with subtitlessynch. I notice episodes from the same season of a serie often have the same delay in subtitles, so I often just synch a whole season in advance. And then do some extra finetuning if needed.

It would be nicer if we were able to do it without leaving MP, but as of now, I am very happy with this solution.

gorman

Portal Member
May 1, 2006
Unfortunately no such feature is planned for 1.0 release.
Thanks for answering. I'm surprised this doesn't come up more often but... life is a xxxxx and I'll live with it. :)
I hope it will be considered for future releases. If, in the meantime, somebody is willing to give a try at implementing it through some kind of plugin/patch, I'd be willing to discuss a bounty for it.
Cheers.

gorman

Portal Member
May 1, 2006
I forgot having posted this and posted in a different section. My bad.

In any case, any development?

piranha

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 17, 2005
    With so many sources of subtitles and programs matching subtitles automatically to the specific avi file, why would you need such a thing?
    I use subtitle a lot, and I think I would be REALLY annoyed if I would have to tweak the subtitles everytime I am watching a movie.

gorman

Portal Member
    May 1, 2006
    piranha, I don't want to sound hostile to you but... is this the "I don't need a feature so nobody can be in need of it" kind of message?

Because, you see, I specifically mentioned TV Series and not movies as the main media in need of this. According to releases from different groups, the commercial breaks can easily be cut out with different timings. And subtitles do not, usually, exist for each and every different group release.

Furthermore, the function is provided in all major media players that support subtitles: Zoom, KMP, MPC-HC, XBMC, VLC. One has to wonder why all the other developers went developing something unneeded...

piranha

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 17, 2005
    No it's not another
    "I don't need a feature so nobody can be in need of it"
    kind of message. At least I did not intend it this way.

See I use subtitles a lot, and almost always am able to find matching subtitles. Nowadays you have so many tools for subtitle search/matching, that allows me to have hit everytime.
    Have a look at opensubtitles for example, yes you can download the subtitles by finding serie/movie, but you can also use their software to match the subtitle by release/file crc. With each subitle uploaded to opensubtitles.org a checksum of a file is uploaded and then the software matches it against your files.
    I have a program which (unfortunately for Polish only), I just need to right click the avi, and the subs are downloaded. If no exact subs are found, it will get the closest ones and match them (adjust) to fit my movie.

I am just trying to point you out into direction you may not entirely exhausted. As you see this on-the-fly adjustment doesn't spark much of a interest, maybe, just maybe because most of people have matching subtitles by now :)

tourettes

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2005
    Furthermore, the function is provided in all major media players that support subtitles: Zoom, KMP, MPC-HC, XBMC, VLC. One has to wonder why all the other developers went developing something unneeded...

Maybe we are the only ones that buy the series as DVD boxes :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom