Suggest a Remote + IR Blaster Combo that works out-of-box with MP (1 Viewer)

skoka123

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 8, 2009
    Hyderabad, India
    Home Country
    India India
    Hi,

As the title says, please suggest a Remote + IR Blaster combo that works out-of-box with Media Portal without the need for any plugins.

It could be a Remote + IR Receiver/Blaster combo or just IR Receiver/Blaster that works with any remote (MCE remote would be cool).

I have already tried with MCE remote + MCE Receiver/Blaster combo and I am having many troubles getting it to work consistently.

Thanks,
    Srikanth

solas989

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 17, 2009
    Ohio
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    I am using the Soundgraph iMon remote with a LCD text display.

While it did not work "out of the box" there was minimal configuration.

The miniDisplay plugin worked out of the box with the display and works wonders.
    There is a guide in the forums (with the mappings) that shows how to configure it. It took me 10 minutes to setup and verify all the settings for my remote.

One caveat was that I thought initially the mappings to My TV, My DVD etc did not work. But due to the mapping plug in, you have to hold it for a second for processing.

I do not know if other remotes work "out of the box"

Solas

Bagal

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 15, 2006
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Unfortunately what you're asking isn't easy to answer because as you've found out yourself everybody's mileage varies, for instance I'm using the MCE remote + MCE Receiver/Blaster combo without any issues at all.

Have you had a look at the IR Server Suite plugin to control the IR blasting?

skoka123

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 8, 2009
    Hyderabad, India
    Home Country
    India India
    Yes, I did try the IRSS. The stable version just does not blast the IR codes while the beta does blast the IR codes, I have keep restarting IR Server configuration. I am currently testing SageTV and it looks promising.

I will start MP again from Scratch (reinstall OS). I have been using Vista. I have a spare license of XP Pro. Does the MCE blaster work out of box in XP?

rekenaar

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 17, 2006
    Home Country
    South Africa South Africa
    I am on XP with the MCE blaster. Never missed a channel change.
    I really wish I could help you, but we already tried in your other thread. I even installed the latest beta version of IRSS to see if I could see your problems, but mine just works.
    I am not saying it is a Vista issue since I never tried it on Vista myself.

skoka123

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 8, 2009
    Hyderabad, India
    Home Country
    India India
    Hi rekenaar,

I really appreciate all your help so far and the trouble you have taken to replicate my issues.

I am currently testing with SageTV and the same MCE blaster seems to work OK (for the last 4 days). I am now seriously thinking of going with XP Pro as I anyway have a spare XP license lying around. The only thing that I worry I might lose with XP is the improved S3 standby in Vista. My Vista machine works great waking up from S3 state for scheduled recordings.

Did you have to install IRSS to get it working with XP?

rekenaar

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 17, 2006
    Home Country
    South Africa South Africa
    Yes.
    XP
    MSMCE remote + blaster
    MP v1.0.0
    TVServer v1.0.0
    IRSS (latest beta as at time of this post)

I also have a reliable S3 setup, but I am not using the MP Powerscheduler since I use 4therecord for scheduling/recording, which uses the normal windows sleep/wake functions.

When you are on XP and still struggling, we can exchange setup screenshots to compare.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom